Sorta Weather related :) - Boltek/Astrogenic Lightning stuff

All,

I have a database of lots of my weather information. Including a bunch of one-wire sensors and a one-wire Lightning detector. (BTW, it works great!)

In the process of putting all of this together, I also have a Boltek PCI with the latest software from AstroGenic - the Nexstrom (full version).

The full version supports a shared memory interface that you can use to create custom software and talk to the LD software to get “realtime” date.

I decided that I wanted to log the numbers of strikes per minute from the Boltek into my other database, and so I created a Visual C++ application to do so. While it’s pretty custom as to what database it writes to (mysql) and the specifics of the table format, the application can easily be modified to support your specific table/structure/database, etc.

It’s a full Windows app and it support minimize to the system tray, various verbose and debug type information listings. It even supports a distance limit amount so that it will only count strikes if they fall inside that distance. It’s written in the latest version of Visual C++ Express which is free from Microsoft. Because the application is pretty custom, I’ll only provide source.

If any one is interested in playing around, I’m happy to share… But, no fair poking at how it’s document, formatted, created, etc… I make no claim at being an ace C++ programmer. I’ve forgotten way more than I care to admit, or have retained over the years…

I’ll see about putting together a zip file with the specifics and posting it, but in the mean time, reply to this if interested.

WD works with Nexstorm and logs the lightning data for you (e.g counts each day ), etc
and you could use that the WD custom tags to populate a custom mysql database (which you can do with wd’s database)

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Could you explain the basic concept you mention above. I run WD and the WDsql stuff to populate that database, the the LD information that gets written there doesn’t seem to be what I expect. You seem to be suggesting something different?

Thanks,
Alan

I was just saying that via the wd custom mysql database ability you could use the already existing wd custom tags for lightning info and add that to a mysql data base…
but sounds like you have done your own work around

Ah, you just mentioned a couple of thing that reminded me… I think I’ll go look at what you suggested, will save me a second database to manage…

I think I understand what you are saying now.

Alan

Brian, if I could, a little eduction on the custom mysql settings.

• if I use those settings are they in addition to the regular mysql updates? In other words… Do I need to add another field to the database and then add the custom tag and tag mapping, will this add that custom tag in addition to the other primary data? Or do you have to create an entire custom database schema and then use all custom tags to fill in the database?

Bump.

Alan, I realize I’m replying to a very old post, but if you have the zip file of that C++ app, I’d like to get the source code.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

Not sure if you are aware, but you could use NSLog http://jcweather.us/NSLog.php

H.