Newbee: UV and Lightning Sensor Options wanted

I am wondering what is out there as aftermarket UV and Lightning sensors that can be used with WD? I have a dedicated PC to my station which has a Davis VP2 wireless on it. I searched the forums a bit but did not see much except for a lightning sensor which appears to be out of stock now or no longer made. I am somewhat handy building things since I have been an amateur radio operator for over 30 years.

Not looking to break the bank either, I was lucky to be able to afford the Davis and we just moved into a new home so I still have a bunch of expenses while we get the yard ready this spring.

Rich K4GPS
York, SC

I’m sure Hobby Boards will have them back in stock shortly, you could always email them and ask. :wink:
There’s also Audon, here in the UK that sells them, but apart from that then you’re look at something like a Boltek but that’s a lot more money. :frowning:

Interesting… I have never ordered from overseas but I am sure you are correct that HobbyBoards will stock them up again. Hopefully in time for this year’s lightning season.

Hobby boards aka Eric is on vacation, so you might not get a response immediately.

Eric was on another thread today and said that the lightning detectors would be back in stock after they return from vacation. :wink:

As a taster, I’ve attached what the 1-Wire lightning detector produces in WD for you to upload. :smiley:

The first one was a small storm that was quite close, about 5 miles away.
The second is a more distant storm (about 20 miles) but lasted a bit longer.

lighteninggraph.gif

lighteninggraph-051207.gif

I really think I am going to have some fun with all of this. I just spent the afternoon playing with WD again, searching the forums and posting some messages. I think if I set up a Lightning Detector a Solar Sensor, and I would like to have 2 more thermometers (one on each floor of the house plus the console) I would be a very happy camper for a long time. Oh…there is that web cam also, I have an IP cam but now I want better quality.

I’ll be waiting for Eric to return and I’ll get an idea of when the kits will start shipping again. Right now I am just spending time looking at all the menu’s. You got to LOVE WD and all that Brian has done over the years but sometimes it becomes a real headache finding exactly what button works and sometimes it takes more than 1 selection or setting to accomplish a task. It’s the nature of the beast I guess with all of the features. Just wish there was a road map. The FAQ’s are good but many are outdated since the menu’s change often.

Just wait until you get into the time lapes videos!! :lol:

http://www.hebrides-photos.com/weather/weathervideo.php

your profile says you have Davis VP
why not get the UV sensor for that added?

Wish I could but I must be very carefull of what I do. My internet service is via a cellular phone modem which services the entire house on my network. I live in the country and was lucky to get a single phone line to my mother’s house since the phone lines are so old. We do not have cable TV here either so I had no choices than a cell modem or a VERY VERY POOR dial up connection. Well…considering I work for Verizon/Vodaphone for those in the UK I got a modem for free and a service plan for 50% of the going rate.

The speed seems to be acceptable, faster than what my first ever DSL connection was about 5 years ago and I was happy with that. I got spoiled with faster connections later on, static IP addresses and having my own servers at home. Now I got to stay low key, bandwith and ports are monitored and I do not want to get a call from my boss when they figure out that account belongs to an employee. We just pray that someday the phone lines will become so poor and unuseable that they will have no choice than to upgrade us and we will end up with the latest and greatest.

The incredible cost… I believe that is $350 USD for UV alone. I think I would be better off with the Hobby Board so I can add the lightning, UV, and temp in the basement and 2nd floor. I got to speak to my tax advisor in the next month and I have to ask him if these toys would be deductable. When I moved to South Carolina from Florida I purchased 30 acres of a Pine Tree Farm, we are claiming 25 acres as farmland and have harvested a little bit. Last year was one of the worst for this area in record for lack of rain, I hope this year will be better so I can re-plant. Once I do that I can really call myself a farmer.

Maybe some sensor confusion. Hobby Boards does not have a UV sensor, they do have a solar radiation sensor. The Davis solar radiation sensor is about $ 110 (street price) and the Davis UV sensor is about $ 250 (street price).