Insanity or stupidity?

OK Folks This morning My Lacrosse 2010 anemometer Quit broadcasting to My WD. So I worked on it for about 1 hour in Zero Degree F weather with 10-15 MPH wind creating a windchill of around 20-30 below zero. Well of coarse all my attempts to get lacrosse working failed.

So in a Box Sits My new Davis VP2 6163 (waiting for a Warmer Day) and I just can NOT stand to look at a flatlined WD . so I spend another 2 hours out in the cold getting Davis temp setup so I can See action on My WD screen

So after 4 hours trying to get feeling back in my body I am trying to figure out If I am totally Insane or Just plain Stupid :lol:

BTW I found out a telescoping Flagpole make a GREAT anemometer Stand that a person can work with… I Need to figure out how much of a lighting rod it will be in the summer on top of a hill. But its nice to go from 5 foot to 25 foot in 015 seconds or less

Brad

Shall we say “dedicated”? Nobody would work on thier weather station in that kind of weather, except perhaps for every other member of this forum. :smiley:

As for the telescoping pole, lets say I’d rather not be nearby during a thunderstorm (and I wouldn’t try to get it lowered to 5 feet in .015 seconds either).

I had toyed with the idea of moving a sensor that is outside to a different location, but the windchill readings kept me from doing it… of course it was real, real hard not to say ‘what the heck’ and do it.

You are not alone, been there and done that myself.

How about climbing a metal ladder, to the second story of a house, to unclog a raingauge, in the rain, at 11pm at night, holding a flashlight. :buzzsaw:

Oh come on, I had to walk 5 miles uphill to school and 5 miles uphill back home( #-o) in the dead of winter with no shoes and a hole in my mittens. 8O 8O

Now that’s Looney!! :wink: But I think our good friend Aardvark has done something similar too… :lol:

So I worked on it for about 1 hour in Zero Degree F weather with 10-15 MPH wind creating a windchill of around 20-30 below zero. Well of coarse all my attempts to get lacrosse working failed.

so I spend another 2 hours out in the cold getting Davis temp setup so I can See action on My WD screen

So after 4 hours trying to get feeling back in my body I am trying to figure out If I am totally Insane or Just plain Stupid

That’s a dedicated Wx Watcher and Forum member!!! :wink: :lol:

At least if lightning strikes the Flag Pole…It would be better than if it struck your house. I doubt that the flag pole will get struck anytime soon though.

I just checked your website at 12:41am EST Time…looks pretty damn cold there at the moment.

we are enjoying a nice windy night here…went from 40+ degrees at 3pm this afternoon… to now about 14 degrees…in the wake of an extremely cold cold front coming in.

…chris

You forgot the six feet of snow. :wink:

I was out that night when we had a decent (for here) snow fall, about 3 inches on the ground
Aenometer froze, so 11pm i was out the with a fleece jacket, still chucking it down with snow
grabbed the hose and stood there, getting soaked from the snow, soaked from the hose each
time the wind blew it the wrong way, getting soaked from the hose hitting the trees/bushes
and dropping the snow on me, oh and it was about -3, not sure of the WC though…

Oh and next door came out to let there dog out, not sure what they were thinking 8O

I was out there for about an hour and still didnt manage to free the darn thing lol
About 12am i was in the showing i was that cold and wet lol

:rofl: You guys are just too much!! :hello1: :headbang: :laughing3:

which explains quite a few things… The most irritating is that the wife then says after the 3rd trip outside " Did you get it fixed??" :roll:

Oh i can beat that (although not to fix my Wx station). During a thunderstorm in june last year (yes, thats the last thunderstorm we had here in the midlands 8O) the guttering on the second story section was blocked and there was water coming in everywhere, so i had to quickly raise a ladder, with lightning occuring around me in torrential rain, walk up to the second story apex and remove all the moss blocking it. I tell you, its very un-nearving when a t-storm is rattling right above up whilst standing near the roof of your house (as you can imagine :roll: #-o ) .

From a woman’s viewpoint “Did you get it fixed?” is NOT meant to show concern for your hobby and whatever happened to your gizmos. What it really means is something like…“leave the freakin’ thing alone until tomorrow-and don’t forget a pillow and a blanket for the couch if you go outside again tonight”. It’s all in the translation :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You had mittens?! 8O How lucky… :wink:

I can identify. Several times this winter I have been out in the middle of the night pulling down the mast my anemometer is on in order to free up the vane’s in that stupid shroud. For the life of me I don’t know why Lacrosse doesn’t use cups like the rest of the civilized world does.

exactly