cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: What flavor of Linux are folks running?  (Read 20385 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
What flavor of Linux are folks running?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2004, 04:04:46 PM »
Quote from: Vergil83
Let me try this again.  Are you saying the reason why so much software is still pay based, is because of companines paying for software and coming preloaded on pc when the are bought at many places.

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that you need to use the much lower price at which most copies of windows/office are sold rather than the over-the-counter price when thinking of "paid" vs. "free".

And I just remembered the best reason to use Linux.  The ladies love it.  Nothing like a shirt that says "I am root, bow before me" to get you some dates.  :roll:
Chris

Ah, I see you are a man of taste and distinction. :roll:

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2004, 06:40:19 PM »
Quote from: nikoshepherd
What about the big picture? Is the whole linux / free software thing reducing the perceived value of software and computer services in the eyes of the non-techie world? I've been trying to think of a parallel situation where an industry has shot itself in the foot this way.

Hmm, seems there might be some support for this point of view from someone who might actually know what he's talking about http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=8fe41294-a988-4c73-948a-1bfab622fcce

Offline Vergil83

• Utterly confused by simple networking
  • TN
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2004, 10:52:38 PM »
Hmm, seems there might be some support for this point of view from someone who might actually know what he's talking about http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=8fe41294-a988-4c73-948a-1bfab622fcce

Which part are you pointing to?

Chris
Inventor of the 43ft alcohol barometer

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2004, 11:45:56 PM »
I guess he sums it all up at the end

"In the end, Aiden, itís your choice. Do you want to have a car, a house and a family when you are 30? Do you love being a software engineer at the same time? If so, you literally need to get a life. Forget the dream about stuff being free and stop advocating it. Itís idiocy. Itís bigotry. If you want to put your skills to work and you need to support a family, your work and work results canít be free. Software is the immediate result and the manifestation of what your learned and what you know. How much is that worth? Nothing? Think again"

Offline Vergil83

• TN
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2004, 03:53:07 AM »
Long rant :D

That is assuming that getting the house/family/new suv is the highest goal in life one can have.  I will admit that nearly all  open source programmers will not get rich or even make money on Linux, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose.
The good looking, intelligent girl over there at the bar that youíd really like to talk to doesnít care much whether you are famous amongst a group of geeks and neither does she even remotely fathom why youíd be famous for that stuff in the first place. I mean Ė get real here.

It may not get him "the girl" or fame or acclaim, but that doesn't mean that doing something that you think is important is worthless.   Doctors without borders will never be able to save everyone, should they stop because there dream on no unneeded deaths in the 3rd world may never come true.  All of us have put time/money into these weather stations, and we will never see a finical return of that money.  Should be stop because it won't make us rich?  
It doesnít matter whether you love what you are doing

There are things in which no one wil ever thank you for, but is important to you, because it means something to you.  He also talks about being exploited by large companies using free software.  I don't want to go into a political argument, but a software developer whom writes a program and gets paid 10,000 for his time, while the company makes one million dollars is still being exploited.  

http://www.grack.com/main/Home.html

Chris

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2004, 04:14:08 PM »
Quote from: Vergil83
Long rant :D
You can say that again  :D there's a lot I don't agree with.

Doctors without borders will never be able to save everyone, should they stop because there dream on no unneeded deaths in the 3rd world may never come true.  
For this to be comparable doctors without borders would have to be setting up next door to the Cleveland Clinic offering free heart surgery and claiming that doctors, hospitals and drug companies shouldn't be paid for their services.

I don't want to go into a political argument, but a software developer whom writes a program and gets paid 10,000 for his time, while the company makes one million dollars is still being exploited.
Do you have an actual example of a software company where the total cost to develop, market and support the product is only 1% of sales? (I'd like to buy some of their stock  :wink: )

Offline Vergil83

• TN
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2004, 05:19:53 PM »
or this to be comparable doctors without borders would have to be setting up next door to the Cleveland Clinic offering free heart surgery and claiming that doctors, hospitals and drug companies shouldn't be paid for their services.

I was more thinking of his argument that because free software is a "pipedream" and will never come true, it is pointless to work on it.  
Do you have an actual example of a software company where the total cost to develop, market and support the product is only 1% of sales?

I wasn't including market and support because if they used some free software and sold it for profit, they would still have to pay the cost for the market and support.  The only difference between if the software was free or written by someone at the company is the wage of the software writer, althought I do grant those numbers are a little "wild".  :oops:

Chris