cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: My Homebuilt tornado Machine  (Read 6203 times)

Offline fairweather

• Andy
  • Worcester, Midlands, UK
    • Worcester Weather Station
My Homebuilt tornado Machine
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Hi all. Wasnt really sure were to post this, but as it is a completely home built device i thought id put it here.

Hi all. I have been testing out my home built tornado machine and have made a video showing the various vortices i have created. Completely made from spares, it cost me a total of £15 (for the mist machine). Im very pleased with myself as i have always wanted one, its about 1.5 metres tall with a total of 6 fans.

I have a combined 4 120 mm fans at the top, in pairs so i can control each. This creates the low pressure core in the centre of the machine, then i have 2 smaller fans up the side with a large inlet to get the air rotaing freely. These have been wired into a Varible resistor that i had for a PC and i can control the speed (i.e the rotational velocity) of the air. I have also hooked the 2nd of the 2 fans (the highest out of the 2) to a switch so i can have the bottom one on and top off etc, all this gives full control over parameters to produce a wide range of vortices.

unlike all the others i have seen, i wanted to make one that was as open as possible. This design i made allows the whole section to be open at the front, and you can put your head right up to the vortex to have a good look. You can tell when the vortex is nice and healthly when you can see a dark streak down the middle (i.e a clear core).

Here is a video of it : http://www.worcwx.co.uk/Tornado%20Machine.wmv (12mb, wmv)

And a few pics:

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
Re: My Homebuilt tornado Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Im very pleased with myself as i have always wanted one,
...and now you've got one  :D :D

Brilliant piece of work.  it must have kept you amused for hours and hours.... :) :)...But please don't make a full-scale one, or the neighbours might complain.. :wink: :wink:

It really is very good though and quite an achievement.. :) :)

Offline casacota

• Pyrenees / Catalonia
    • Observatori Meteoroḷgic de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
Phantastic!!!

But... if you are in the northern hemisphere, should it not turn leftwards? Maybe it needs some adjustment with the vents - or I'm confused. Anyway, it's impressive!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:48:43 PM by casacota »

Offline fairweather

• Andy
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
lol Munro, i had visions of the wall being blown out and loosing the armchair.  :lol:

Castacota, i always thought it was counter clockwise, but i managed a vortex clockwise as well so yes you may well be right.
Everyone thats been in the house since i built it  have been amazed by it, poking their fingers in, i said its yours for 2k haha.  :wink:

Bashy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
Wow, thats amazing, stand a few farm animals (toy lol) and lego people in there and make a video
if you have the means that is, thats brilliant, well done :)

Offline MichaelPT

• Staffordshire Nr Leek
    • Weather-Above
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
hi

that looks really interesting  , brilliant I have   tried to view the  video clip
 having no luck with the link   

could somebody tell me if the link is working  all do I need to download  the file
http://www.worcwx.co.uk/Tornado%20Machine.wmv (12mb, wmv) :(
 mick

Offline fairweather

• Andy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »
Hi you need to have windows media player 9 or above installed. Try copy and pasting the link into windows media player, so simply copy the link, then go into windows media player then (if media player 9 or above) click the little down arrow top right - file - open url then paste the link in there. It should work then.

Or you could just right click on the link above and go to 'save target as ' and download it to your pc.

Bashy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
link worked for me Mick

Offline Breitling

• Luis
  • NW Spain
    • Meteo Aerolugo
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Impressive !!    What amazes me is how you wisely created the low pressure core in an open space. Casacota is right, at the northern hemisphere it should turn CCW, maybe changing the mid-level fans to the other side?

It's really funny to see it working!.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:36:25 PM »
It's great! I agree, I suspect the effect of the fans overwhelms any idea it might have of which hemisphere it is in  :)

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
    • Weather Display
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
I LIKE it :)