New version in the very near future??

I would like to know (i’m sure there are others too) whether there is a new more robust version of VVP coming out soon?

I have not been able to use VVP to connect to my vp2 now since novemeber ( i try every day but always fails with an error).

I have tried a firmware update to my console - made no difference, and i am using a serial datalogger.

Many thanks

Stuart

How odd…my setup has run without a single hiccup (touch wood) throughout the time it has been installed (about 18 months all told through various updates)…I’m running Win XP SP 2 and all updated…serial data logger…VVP 1.1.4.22…WD, VWS, WL, running continuously and occasionally VPLive on Com ports 6 thru 9…

I too had run it around 18 months with hassle, exactly the same as you, running xp sp2, all up to date etc…

One day, it just decided not to want to connect anymore, always stopping at different records when downloading.

I haev always used weather display and weatherlink, i started to use wetterstation in august, by october/november VVP gave up, never connected to successfully since. - nothing had changed (that i am aware of), really strange

i have had VVP running myself, latest version, to test out the TCP/IP connection
no problems here either

so I dont myself see any need for a new version that is more “robust” as you put it

maybe try reseting your data logger (completly power it down and remove it for 5 minutes)
or maybe the VVP archive records are corrupted (and need to be reset) or similar

I’d have to agree with the above posts. I found files with dates from around March 2006 when I must have started using VVP. I have not had one problem with it. I have VP2 with VVP feeding WD, WL, VPLive on virtual com ports with WL and VPLive connection via TCP/IP over a LAN.

So I would suspect a set-up/hardware problem vs a less than robust program.

–Dave

I have tried resetting it “if that is the same as clearing it” via both weather link and weather display, no luck there, but i will try disconnecting the logger from both the console and the computer for 5 minutes though, that’s a good idea. Will 5 minutes be enough?

(and please, don’t you all jump on me saying the software is great and the problem is most likely my fault, as i agree, the software is fantastic and up to when it had issues with the datalogger, i had no issues, but i have done nothing to stop it from working!) this is great software!! and i only ask about the more robust software as that’s what is stated in the roadmap for future versions on the softwx site!!!

I have suspected it to also be a hardware problem (not a setup, nothing has changed!) but maybe wetterstation causing an issue

make sure power down the console completly before removing the data logger

OK, have tried that, no luck either.
Tried using my other VP2 console too, again, the same result.

Personally i am thinking it is the datalogger, but it connects fine to weatherlink, weather display and wetterstation without any trouble (though weatherlink does occasionally stop and have to retry on obtaining a record or 2!).

sounds like vvp datafiles might be corrupted or similar
contact Steve and find out about how to delete and start over with VVP

In the Windows Device Manager do you have any items with explanation marks? “!”

Also which physical com ports numbers does your PC have in device manager? e.g. com1 com2 com3 com4 etc

Is the serial connection port in your PC feeding your davis built into the motherboard or a add-in card?

How long is the serial cable between your VP2 and the PC (approx)?

Automan.

i dont think any of that applies, as programs that work with the VP work OK, just not VVP

While VVP “just works” for the vast majority of people, there are a few people that have problems with it on their system. Most of these problems I can’t duplicate, but I think I know what the problem may be. Some I can duplicate, so I do know what the problem is. Some I can’t duplicate, and just don’t know what the problem is. I am working on these issues, although I don’t have a firm date when I will have a release. I definitely haven’t abandoned my interest in VVP. In fact, I have some interesting plans for it this year that I think folks will like.

Available time has been an issue in the past. Not happy with this, last month I rearranged the schedule of contract programming that is my main income, and let go some of the work I was doing. This should make my time schedule more sane.

Steve
SoftWx

Brian,
I have seen some “serial data” applications that are more fault tolerant to glitches in the serial data than others.

Also where plug & play can think some devices attached by serial cable are a mouse which again can make the serial app behave poorly or not work at all.

And of course if the person’s PC has lots of serial ports these may clash with VVP’s virtual ports causing issues.

I did however forget to ask what errors VVP actually gives Steve (stuartturrell) when he runs the app?

Never hurts to check :slight_smile:

Automan.

There is 1 explanation mark in the device manager, always been there as its for a built in modem which i don’t use anyway! - i use ethernet.

I have just run VVP again to get the error and it is “COULD NOT READ ARCHIVE PAGE 490” The number changes all the time.

If you are feeling bold they may be an option in your computers BIOS setup program to disable the inbuilt modem which may be using some interupt used by a com port.

Or as an alternate, in device manager a right click of the item, preoperties and disable (if option available).

Next I would navigate to C:\Program Files\VirtualVP folder and rename or delete of the two ArchiveCache files and then try VVP again (other weather apps closed of course to free VP com port).

That will make it read the whole logger memory in from fresh should the data in one of those two files be corrupt.

Also are you on the latest release of VVP which I think is 1.1.4?

Automan.

i’m just about to re-install XP, so i am feeling bold, but before i start teh new installation, i will pop into the bios for a look around and disable that modem!

The archieve deletion thing, i tried that, made no difference there. (deleted both the archive files)

OK, re-installed XP sp2, only install vvp, wd, wl and wetterstationand so far all is well.

I am upgrading the harddrive next weekend, when i re-install everything again next week, i will install back to how it was the other and find out what was causes issues with VVP. I get a feeling maybe my bluetooth adapter

Good luck…
Also beware some bluetooth gadgets e.g. mobile phones map to com ports for modem functions which may cause a clash.

Automan.