VVP and comm ports already in use

I am about to d/l VVP and the recommended comm port driver but before I do I need to know what impact it is going to have on comm ports that are already in use. For instance I have two Bluetooth comm ports in use (5 and 6). What would be the impact on those two ports in concert with VVP?

Linda, it should have no effect. I believe VVP just takes the com port the VP is connected to and makes four more in addition to 4 TCP/IP connections. You just point it to the com port Davis is using.

–Dave

OK…thanks

You’ll need to change the default configuration of the N8VBvCOM virtual COM port driver. The default configuration is:
COM6 ↔ COM16
COM7 ↔ COM17
COM8 ↔ COM18
COM9 ↔ COM19

The driver sets up pairs of virtual COM ports so one program can be connect on one end of the pair, and another program on the other end of a pair. The default installation of VirtualVP is configured to connect to COM16 through COM19. You then configure your weather programs to connect to ports COM6 through COM9. In your case, you’ll want to change the N8VBvCOM driver to user COM10 ↔ COM20 in place of COM6 ↔ COM16 to avoid collision with one of your Bluetooth ports. Then in VirtualVP, you’ll change the COM16 reference to be COM20.

There is a configurator program included with the driver install to make it easy to change the configuration.

Steve
SoftWx

Great…thank you for the info

I knew this was going to happen…I’m confused (so what else is new?). Attached is the configurator screenshot. What’s next considering that port 6 is a bluetooth port?

That’s not the configurator. That’s the VirtualVP configuration screen. In that window, you would dropdown the COM16 and set it to COM20 instead. But you need to run the N8VBvCOM configurator for configuring the driver. There should be a link for it in your Windows Start menu. In that, you will change COM16 to COM20, and COM6 to COM10.

OK, I did that…but WD is not talking on any channel but comm 1. Virtual VP and the console are talking but not WD.

OK…its working. Thank you for all your help. 8)

Heh-heh…me again. If WD runs on port 7 shouldn’t WL run on port 17?

No. VirtualVP uses 16, 17, 18 & 19, or in your case 17, 18, 19, 20. So a typical setup might be:
WD on COM7
WL on COM8
VPLive on COM9.

If VPLive would run on com9 then should VWS run on 9 instead?

You can connect the weather programs however you want. The only consideration is that some programs have a limit to how high a numbered COM port they allow you to select. If a VWS for example only allowed you to select up to COM9, then you could put VWS on COM9 and VPLive on COM10.

Currently WD is running on com7, WL on comm 8. I have tried VWS on all other ports. They either time out waiting for a response or will not connect. That’s the reason for the question.

If you close WD does VWS work okay on the com port WD has assigned?

Also have you tried a shut-down and restart of windows?

It may also be worth re-checking serial ports in device manager.

Automan.

Mercy, what a fight. It’s all working now. It sure did take a lot of messing around with comm ports to get there though. Thanks for your reply.

One interesting note…the Restart and Close on the Windows Start button don’t work anymore after all this. H-m-m-m-m-m-m was it really worth it?

I think it worth it because I am sure I will be going thru some of the same stuff when I switch from my Lacrosse to My Davis. Maybee I should just have you set mine up being its fresh in your Mind :lol:

keep up the good work

Brad

Well Brad…I’m sorry to tell you that won’t be possible :smiley: :D. I’m not absolutely sure of exactly what I did to make it work. And to “add insult to injury” I have found that VVP sometimes shuts itself off for no particular reason. It’s really cool to be able to have 3 different weather programs running at the same time as all 3 have something different to offer. However, if VVP keeps shutting down by itself I’m going to have to take a hard look (as Paddington Bear would say) and decide if I am going to buy and register it.

Probably if you don’t have other things running on your comm port(s) you will be fine but I have a bluetooth connection for my cell on one of the default ports. I think what had me confused in the beginning is the idea in the docs of “port pairs”. I think of it now that I’ve had some time as “port emulation”. Anyhow good luck with it and I’m sure you will find all the help you need in this forum.

PS The console does not talk to WL with the port emulation. What I mean is…it’s easier to set up your console while using WL than by going through every button manually on the console. After you start port emulation the conversation stops so use WL first to set your console up and then install the emulator and VVP.

Does anyone but me have problems getting VVP to run all the time? It keeps disconnecting and leaving WD not receiving anything.

To my thinking this is the one of the few reports of this particular problem