25 Jan updates -> wmr200

I have just downloaded and installed the latest WD update (build 20)and .exe file (25th January) and the WMR100 data program starts and stops within a few seconds, with no data being sent to WD.
Starting WMR100 manually will send current data, but no missed data.
Brian, probably needs another squiz please…
Also, does the debug file need to be downloaded and installed as well???

Update:
Have tried using an earlier version of the .exe file - this doesn’t work either.
Then went back to the newest versions.
Inconsistent to say the least - WMR100 will start and then stop and disappear within about 10-15 seconds. If I manually start it, below is a shot of the screen being presented.

I didn’t notice such as ‘start / stop’. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t have happened if it was quick, but I just stopped WD for 10 minutes and restarted as a test and I still didn’t notice it.

Both the first time I started build 20, and in the test I just did ‘missed data’ was collected.

What I’m seeing is behaviour that seems to be as per build 19, i.e. wmr100.exe usually needs a manual start after ‘missed data’ has been allowed to complete - though it did catch me out once when it started automatically just as I was starting it manually! I killed the second instance and all seemed okay - well at least as okay as usual.

There are certainly problems, but I’ve not noticed any new ones.

WMR200 isn’t mentioned in the latest entry on the version history page, so I’m not sure if Brian has made any relevant changes this time around?

Thanks David.
I’ve just done the same - restarted WD after 15 or so minutes.
WMR100.exe started and this time downloaded some missed data, then proceeded to display the following:
“Found D2” “Decoding D2” “Failed CRC Error Check”
Did this a couple of times and then WMR100.exe disappeared!!!
So now WD is sitting all by itself with no data feed…
I am about to manually start WMR100.exe, will report progress in a few minutes.

Perhaps a misunderstanding, but wmr100.exe doesn’t have anything to do with ‘missed data’.

WeatherD.exe starts, collects ‘missed data’ itself, then (theoretically) start up wmr100.exe to handle normal running.

I’m not sure what would happen if you manually started wmr100.exe before WeatherD.exe had had a chance to handle ‘missed data’. I suspect that the USB connection established by wmr100.exe might have a blocking effect?

Brian will tell better, but I’d interpret CRC errors possibly indicating a data transmission problem?

Edit: Or if both ‘missed data’ and wmr100.exe are running maybe they are ‘fighting’ over the data an both getting confused?

No misunderstanding David - no understanding at all…
I’m trying to get a grip on how data is delivered to WD from the WMR200, but all I can rely on is wading through forum posts that may relate to a particular problem being experienced at the time.
Believe it or not, your second line of the last post has told me more about how this thing works than anything I could dredge from the depths of this forum.
Having had my little spak attack, is there a .txt file that sets out how all this works, in a sequential manner?

Back to the problem at hand, WD is currently running albeit with a large black box where the analogue windspeed indicator should be, and black borders next to the graphs (as per the previous screen shot).
It seems that every time I close WD and restart, there is a different sequence of events through missed data (or no missed data) then the WMR100.exe appearance and disappearance.
Help!

If there is, I don’t know where to find it. What little I know is based just on watching what happens and picking up hints from hearing of other people’s experience…

That image only tells me that it’s different to mine (attached). You seem to have customised the appearance a bit, and the fonts? Mine is, I think, pretty much plain vanilla except for things like ticking the windrun option.

Starting WD does seem to be something of an adventure! One thing that I find particularly variable, and for no reason that is obvious to me, is the time taken before the WD Summary screen populates with live data. A few (but not all) ‘Extreme’ condition fields update during ‘missed data’, then after 'missed data ’ has finished there is an indefinite period before everything springs to life. It probably makes sense, somehow… :slight_smile:

Haven’t changed the fonts but may have moved scales on graphs to allow better viewing of individual readings.

I’ve also noticed the time taken to populate the page - but as long as it populates with the correct data I’m reasonably happy…

But you did notice that the graph scales are blacked out and that the windspeed indicator is a black box with partly obscured numbers, not a circle as normal?
Will logout now and hit the sack, will wait for Windy’s reply…zzzzzzzzzzz

I didn’t follow it at the time and I’m not sure which sectin it was in but I vaguely recall seeing a subject line mentioning disappearing graph scales sometime over the last few days. If you’ve not seen that already, and I’m not imagining it(!), maybe worth a search…

to try and answer the many questsion
no, you do not need to download the Debug version
your black parts of the screen to me sound like a graphics driver problem on your pc (what screen resolution and colour is your desktop set to)
the sequence of events should be, as long as you have switch on in the data logger setup:
You start up WD and it gets and processes the missed data
then once the current time/date is found or the missed data is finised etc, then that missed data window closes and then the wmr100.exe program starts up and gets the live data to make that available to WD

Skywright, how long were you waiting after the history window closes?
the wmr100.exe should start up straight away now…

I have not brought the wmr200 station with me on visiting the inlaws…

also there was a couple of updates to build 20
as I discovered wd was starting the iroxdata.exe instead of the wmr100.exe
so try a new download update

thanks Brian, will try new update…

Nope, still have to start WMR100.exe manually.

Wierd black boxes on graphs and windspeed indicator disappeared last night however.

I confess I didn’t give it long - as I didn’t realise you’d had an opportunity to make a wrm100.exe related change. I’ll be more patient next time. :lol:

I’m sure we are all grateful that modern technology is keeping you as ‘connected’ as you are - not to mention being grateful to your wife and inlaws for allowing you time to some spend with us. :smiley:

as long as I help out with what is needed and keep in the good books, I can spend some time on the PC…
I helped fix the steering on the boat, and wheeled a wheel barrow to pick up stoat traps from the bush, so I think I am in the good books…

Always VERY important!!! Thanks for the help

ta da
I found the problem
I had made it so that the wmr100.exe closes as soon as WD is closed…
but that flag was still there, and so wmr100.exe closed as soon as it started…
A new .zip update is ready now to fix that glitch!

Great. Well spotted Tmba! I thought I was looking closely but on this machine at least I didn’t even see a flicker of an icon in the systray!

And I think it it explains why wmr100.exe did start itself here yesterday morning - because the previous night WD was not closed ‘properly’ (Windows had been terminated by ‘Timed Shutdown’), so presumably WD hadn’t writen the flag…

Shutdown was the same last night, so to take that possibility into account I installed the new build, did a start-up to collect overnight data (wmr100.exe took over okay, but that could be the effect mentioned above), then Save & Exit, wait 15 minutes or so…, re-start, Yes!. wmr100.exe started itself.
Thank you. :smiley:

Just a 2 minute break in the log (last ‘missed data’ @ 10:25, wmr200history.txt reports ‘Current data found, finishing up, WMR200’ but didn’t write anything (perhaps not time for a complete record?), first wmr100.exe record was at 10:28 and looks to have been initialised from the 10:12 record (i.e. last before last Save & Exit)…

the penny has dropped with the problem with knowing when the current data has been found…i am using the comparison as to when WD started…but if it takes some time for all the data to processed, then that trigger is going to be met too early…and so the missed data from between the time when wd was started to the current time as the data is processed will get missed,
making that change now

new .zip update ready with this change in place, build 21 :wink:

That ought to make a good difference. When observing closely there has often been a ‘change of minute’ between initial startup of WD and actual start of the ‘missed data’ process. I look forward to testing the new build in the morning. :slight_smile:

Sorry Brian, but it seems to be a backward step… :frowning:

• No ‘*** updating data arrived during history data **’ - i.e. no log ‘current’ records for the time while ‘missed data’ was running (leaving a 15 minute gap)
  • At the end of ‘missed data’ maybe it was looking for a ‘logged’ record for 10:43, which perhaps didn’t exist (i.e. a ‘minute’ too far)?

WD started 10:42.
wmr100.exe started (automatically) ~10:56

12008lg.txt extract:

27  1 2008 10 40 09.0  95 08.2 1024.0  12  11 248 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0
27  1 2008 10 41 09.0  96 08.4 1024.0   9   9 225 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0
27  1 2008 10 42 09.0  96 08.4 1024.0  12  13 270 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0
27  1 2008 10 56 09.0  97 08.5 1024.0  13  22 248 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0
27  1 2008 10 57 09.0  95 08.2 1024.0   9  12 249 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0
27  1 2008 10 58 09.0  94 08.1 1024.0   9  15 255 0.0 1.3 219.1 219.1 9.0

wmr200history.txt extract:

missed data time: 10:42 date: 27/1/8
data interval 1.00