Davis Vantage Pro

I am going to link my Vantage Pro to a computer several rooms away using a extension on the cord coming out of the data logger. Has anyone done this for like 15 ft and seen any loss on the data getting to WD?

Chris

I think you will be OK, as long as you use good quality cable
worse comes to worse there maybe be at times a CRC data quality error…
but I know people have succesfully extended the serial cable from a wm918

Davis sells extension cables for weatherlink up to 200 feet (which seems a stretch to me…) so I don’t think you should have any problem.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/install_cables.asp

Hi,

The Davis version of the Data logger uses standard RS232 signals and you may likely see missing data for wind speed and temperature by extending the cable.
We have developed our own Data Logger for Vantage Pro priced at

Hi,

A couple of users on here have purchased the Blue Wave solar and found it to read very much (40%?) higher than it should. Could you comment on that?

Also I emailed your company asking for references to the two patents (gas filled cosine filter and PhotoTunnel technology)
mentioned on the website for the solar sensor but received no reply. Maybe you could post the numbers here?

Thanks!

Hi Bluewae
welcome to the forum
i have one of your solar sensors in use
its works OK
but it does seem to overread, so i have added a % reduce adjst into WD…and as the summer approaches for me, i slowly have to increase that % reduce…i.e it was overreading more in the winter than it is in the summer

One more question…How do you manage to sell the Davis stations so cheap? Most dealers are around the same price, but you are far cheaper. Do you get better terms from the importers than the other dealers? Sorry to be suspicious, but the price difference makes me ask.

Hmmm, there’s something weird going on here

many people have tried or asked, can we make our own data logger, etc
well, it looks like these people have done that, and can sell it cheaper.
now, i think thats a good thing, becuase , adding on the data logger to the VP does make it expensive, compared to other weather stations that have PC data transfer included.
davis will still get income from resales of the actual weather station…so it is a win win in that sense, yes?

I must admit I hadn’t seen the website until you pointed it out Niko. I do agree with you Windy, that it is a good thing for users, but the downside is support from Davis when using third party add ons. This would need looking into I guess. The internet, and especially forums has made the world a much smaller place, and I guess rumours and gossip can now travel the world in a matter of hours.

I agree Brian, a lowercost data logger option for the VP would be wonderful. More power too them.

But these guys’ credibility is suspect with me when they claim 2 patents that I couldn’t find and don’t respond to emails asking for information, and when they claim better accuracy than Davis for the solar sensor and the two I know of on here have been way off.

The internet, and especially forums has made the world a much smaller place, and I guess rumours and gossip can now travel the world in a matter of hours.
deleted

deleted

deleted

deleted

deleted

deleted

There can also be compatibility/legality issues. For example, wireless stations may use frequencies that aren’t legal to use in the UK, or they may clash with some other user of the the frequency. Also some countries use 418MHz, others 433Mhz. If you buy your station from one country and addon units from another country they might not talk to each other.

Mind you TPTB have also made some weird decisions on occasions…why put low power devices like car central locking keys in the middle of the 70cm amateur radio band. If you park your car in some places in the UK (near a 70cm repeater for example), you might find you can’t unlock it when you return (and the repeater is in use).

What frequency does oregon scientific use for the UK, and is it legal? The frequency they (and other companies) use for the US isn’t actually a frequency allowed for unlicensed use but the FCC has just chosen not to enforce it. Actually there’s a lot of stuff the FCC doesn’t enforce, I guess they are just too busy watching replays of Janet Jackson’s boobie blooper :lol: Good job they don’t watch Channel 4 from what I read recently.

McMurdo do offer excellent backup, and also repairs to Davis Equipment should it be required, with a fast turn around and competitive pricing.
Hmm, they never responded to my emails...

Julian