Weatherlink 5.8-> USBxpress mode

There is an update to 5.8.1 available on the davis site .

visited with Raymond… Weatherlink doesn’t work with 64 bit Vista systems and they don’t predict in the near future a program change. However… Weather Display works just fine.

Is there any one out there using:
DAVIS ENVOY with a IP DATA LOGGER and Weather Display

I am trying but WD on my PC seems to lock up my Davis Data logger on my LAN

Harvey

we got the lock up sorted (it was due to a HTTP clientraw set to download in the client/server setup)

Davis has v2 on their site for download, place in program files/weather display and run it. it changes to serial. After days of hunting and trying we finally got it from usbExpress to serial. Works like a charm.

note that is also a FAQ detailnig how to unset the USBExpress mode

I upgraded to 5.8.3 this morning. there are no new items and it doesn’t improve or detract from 5.8.2 or help vista. the only thing I could see is some minor fixes for things I don’t have …yet and the ability to do something with the wind calibration… WD has done this for a very long time.

At best, on a 64 bit system, it splits up the program, putting some in the program files, some in the virtualstore ( you have to hunt there for your datafiles).

At best it isn’t the best and I really have issue with it costing so much for it and the logger, and they don’t have it more compatible with vista and all of the reports you have to go hunt.

However, it does present the data different ways for me and now that I can use Virtual VP, I get the best of both programs. I think WL is for the novice and WD is still the best out there.

not sure how all that relates to USBexpress mode though?

OK, I need a little help here too…

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 which I’ve had running with WeatherLink 5.9.2 and (without knowing any better) I ticked the USB option but now I need to convert the datalogger back to virtual serial mode so I can use Weather Display software.

After reading this forum I downloaded CP210X_USB_Serial_Converter_ver2.exe from the Davis site but when I try to run it I get “This application has failed to start because CP210XManufacturing.dll was not found.”

It’s probably worth noting that I had heaps of trouble installing The Davis WeatherLink software in the first place because my HDD is F: drive so I had to modify the installer because Davis set one little parameter in there to C: :x, don’t know if this could once again be my problem but I have no idea how to modify CP210X?

Any ideas?

P.S. Why can’t the Weather Display software just have a USB option?? It would make things so much easier!

make sure to download and run from where you have weather link installed

Gotta love the simple solutions! Thanks Brian, that did the trick!

All these posts about weatherlink are all very interesting. I am about to update my gear here to Davis VP2 cabled with weatherlink updated 593 and also still wishing to run WD. I will be running virtualVP incase I need to run both WD and weatherlink at the same time (currently running LeCrosse 2355 and it is a pain in the butt when you need to run WD and heavy weather at the same time!!!).

Will I have any of these problems with the USB weatherlink version as mentioned in this site, if running virtualVP or some hints in how I should set this up. :wink:

just make sure to set weather link to serial mode (i.e virtual serial port mode)
and then you will have a com port number to use, in device manager, ports

note that WD works direct with a la crosse 2355 type station with no need to use heavy weather at the same time

So set it to serial mode even using virtualVP? Yes WD does work direct with WS2355 but when I want to reset the history dat with heavy weather, to record only data from when computer shuts down… thats what I am referring to. But all past tense shortly. Probably off this topic, but using the weatherlink program, will I be able to update WD when I reboot the computer with download data from the Davis VP2??

Jeff

yes, Virtual VP will need it to be set to serial mode as well

yes, the davis data logger stores the data for WD to get on start up :slight_smile:

If you go to Control Panel > Datalogger in WD and turn the switch ON then WD should download the missing data from both the VP2 and WS23** stations when restarted.
When I had my WS2300 I never used Heavy Weather once I had WD up & running. Now I have the VP2, I don’t use Weatherlink either. :wink:

the issue is that the 3rd party program that WD uses for the history data from a 23XX station (hist2300) does not work under vista or W7

Ahh, I was using XP at the time. :smiley:

Just as a follow up, Davis VP2 and weatherlink 5.93 installed, using a virtual serial port program thats happy with wind 7 64 bit and USB version with serial port activated. All working well, running weatherlink and WD at the same time. Both programs update data when computer re boots, although sometimes WD has a little spit and doesn’t update data but you can generally go into control panel, reset the time to reload from and on the next reboot of WD it loads the missing data. :o)

Just being nosey, what Program are you running to split the data stream from the VP2 is it VVP? or something else?

I use VirtualVP and am happy with it but alwaysl looking to learn about alternatives just in case…

Thanks