WeatherLink 5.8 and VirtualVP

You can download WeatherLink 5.8 from the Davis support site. It now supports the previous VP data loggers as well as the new WeatherLinkIP datalogger.

If you’re using VirtualVP, you can now configure WeatherLink 5.8 to connect on one of VirtualVP’s TCP/IP virtual console ports, thus freeing up one of the virtual serial console ports. It also means you can connect to VirtualVP with WeatherLink over a network without the need for a TCP/IP to serial driver like Redirector.

Yes easy to setup, just one of the port numbers you used in VVP, the ip address or pc name VVP is running on and your up and running :slight_smile:

See attached example config that I am using on this laptop.

Automan.

Hi,

VirtualVp and Weatherlink work together like a charm!

Just define the ip address of the host and TCP/IP port configured in VPP and that’s all!

VirtualVP is a “must have” program for all weather station owners!

Thanos

VirtualVP is a "must have" program for all weather station owners!

I agree but unfortunately you have to have a Davis to get the benefits. From Steve’s web page.

VirtualVP is a shareware program that lets you connect up to 4 weather programs to a single Davis Vantage Pro 1 or 2 weather station (console or Envoy).

–Dave

That’s correct!

Unfortunately, sometimes I forget that not everybody has got a Davis weather station! :oops: Sorry!

So I’d better say, VPP is a “must have” software for all Davis owners, who want to get the most out of
their equipment or to get data remotely (VPlive etc).

Thanos

Hi,

does anyone know if VirtualVP works with WeatherLinkIP ?

Can I connect the data logger to VirtualVP by TCP/IP then connect the weather programs (Weatherlink, WD, VWS etc) to VirtualIP using the virtual serial ports ?

regards
Dave

yes, I am pretty sure it does
(and WD works direct with the IP data logger too)

VirtualVP supports TCP/IP connections weather programs make to it, but it doesn’t support direct TCP/IP connections to the datalogger. You need to convert the TCP/IP to a virtual serial port using something like Redirector. The next version of VirtualVP will support a direct TCP/IP connection to the IP data logger, and will have some other changes too support the IP data logger such as relinquishing the connection temporarily at periodic intervals so the data logger can do its uploads to the weatherlink website.

Steve
SoftWx

Hi Steve,

thanks for the info.

I know you’ve been focusing on fixes for V1 and V2 may have slipped, but do you have a timeframe in mind for the new version ?

If I bought now, would the upgrade be free to registered users ?

regards
Dave

Upgrades are always free, both major and minor. The only case where a new version might not be free is if I were to make a version for a totally different platform such as a Linux version or a MacOS version.

I don’t have a time frame, but I hope to get the next VirtualVP out this summer. That will have the archive cache improvements I’ve talked about on other threads, as well as better support for the IP data logger. I also have recognized that these updates have been taking too long. I’m currently working on bringing in another programmer to assist me, someone who I worked with on a number of large projects several years ago, so I know he’s good.

Steve
SoftWx

Hi again Steve,

I’m still looking at how I can get my Vantage Pro 2 set up to best meet my needs.

Currently, I have a VP Pro2 Plus connected with WeatherLink IP, connected via a router to allow 1 minute update of weather data to the Weatherlink web site.

A PC running Weatherlink software is connected to the network.

In this configuration, with WL open (but the Weather Bulletin closed), the station will automatically update the web site and display graphs etc. on demand locally. The station also saves a download.txt file when the hourly archive data is sent to the WeatherLink PC which I use for something else.

I’d like all of the above to continue as before, but also want to use Virtual Weather Station. VWS would need to see the VP console serial port.

Not sure what I need to do here, but based on your previous message, I assume that redirector wuld allow the existing Weatherlink IP setup to run without change. I’d then use redirector to mimic the Weatherlink IP connection and make it appear as a serial port to Virtual VP which would then allow serial weatherlink and VWS to see the same data as the IP connected Weatherlink software. Have I got that right ? Do you see any problems with what I’ve said ?

It sounds like it might be a bit flakey ? If there’s any doubt about whether this would work, then may be better waiting for the upgraded VirtualVP coming out if it has better in-built IP support ? Hopefully, things are still on track for the summer ?

regards
Dave

WD can work with the IP data logger