Trouble getting webcam working

Bought a Logitech Cam for Notebooks Pro (? Is that the one that was real cheap a month or two ago?) and got this cat-5 USB extender:
http://cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I3601

It works fine when in the house using a store-bought 25’ cat-5 cable. WD sees the camera with no problem. But when I move it outside and connect it through my home-made cable(total length 40-50’ or so) there’s no response from the PC at all. The outside end I crimped on an RJ45 plug and the inside I have a jack in a wall plate. From the plate to the PC is currently the same 25’ cable. I’ve checked and double-checked that both ends are wired right. I’ve tried both straight through and crossover version of the same thing but no go. Anything else I need to know to this working?

If this is a USB camera then it maybe the length of cable.
The USB camera will need active booster cables in the line to run it. My cable run is only 14 metres (about 40’) and I have 2 active USB cables in the line.

Edit: Sorry, I’ve just looking at the link you posted and that should do the job.
The ones I’m using are just straight USB, no CAT5 in them. :wink:

Is your setup…camera ->usb extender ->cat5 ->wall plate ->cat5 → usb extender → computer.

I have a usb extender which works with up to 100 feet of cat5 cable between the two extenders At one point I tried two lengths of cat5 (25 and 50) with a coupler in the middle. It would not work with the coupler. So maybe the wall plate is the problem.

–Dave

Yes, that’s my setup.

Now that I think about it I actually have several 25 foot lengths as well as one or two couplers that I can throw into the mix, extending the wall jack out to where the camera is. That would allow me to “buzz” out the cable and, at least, look for a bad wire along the way. Another possibility is that the wall jack is wired incorrectly for the cable I built. Some more things for me check out. :scratch: