Boltek - NexStorm Lighting Types?

So I’m only running NexStorm Lite, but in comparing it to another person, who’s pretty close, I noticed an oddity.

It seems that the types of Lighting that I’m detecting are different than the other persons - btw, he’s using the full version of Nextorm.

I’m watching his StormVue and the counts are way different.

For example. There is a bunch of activity over in the MS, AL area and my range and direction tracks him pretty well.

But he’s showing the following percentaged of types.
+CG - 17%
+IC - 36%
-CG - 44%
-IC - 3%

And yet I’m at.

+CG - 2%
+IC - 43%
-CG - 7%
-IC - 46%

So, what could cause the gross difference of types? Might there be a bug in the type determination in Lite vs full? OR…

I did notice that while the antenna is fully clear of any metal or house wiring around it, that about 15’ down the PC/Antenna hookup wire, the Cat5E crosses at 90 degrees within 5 inches of a length of Romex that goes to some socket in my house. I have no noise to speak of, after running for 3hours it’s less than 14 noise hits.

So, should I be concerned, or would anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

I don’t know for sure, but there have been some fairly big improvements in the NexStorm software in the last year and there’s a good chance that the Lite version hasn’t been kept up to speed.

Another thing I’d consider is your distance to the activity versus that of the other detector. These aren’t precise instruments, but they sure are fun.

• Jim

Thanks Jim,

The distance between myself and the other site is about 60 miles… I might have found one thing in my installation that may be causing the problem. I had put a single loop at in the cable at the antenna for strain relief. It was a loop that was probably 3" in diameter and it may have been located close enough to the antenna to have caused some interfernence I’ve since relocated that loop and we’ll watch and see how it goes… I’m picking up a very active cell (or two) way out to the extreme edges of the range (300+ miles). It’s exactly where it should be and the distance and location is very accurate. Those storms are heading my way over time so this should be a good run… If I could find a way to pay and download the real version, I’d certainly do it… tomorrow I guess I’ll pay and wait for it to show up in the mail :).

Alan,

Look at the very bottom of this page. You can buy it directly from the author, and why not? He’s another great guy.

http://astrogenic.com/products.html

Good Luck. - Jim

Jim,

Thanks again, by coincedence, I had been talking with Relko and will be purchasing it tomorrow via them directly.

Alan

When I bought mine through Relko I think he provided me a link to download the software and didn’t have to wait for the mail. Maybe discuss that with him and see if it’s available.

–Dave

Do you both have the PCI Boltek?

I do.

–Dave

Sorry, my bad :oops: I meant aadamson and the station he’s comparing with.

Yes, mine’s the PCI too. As I understand it the 250 is good for chasing storms, but cannot differentiate between the different types of lightning as well as the PCI version.

• Jim