How About A FTP Solution From Tinplate?

With these tools we can now run several weather station software products all of which like to upload files to the world wide web.

Trouble is the ftp programs tend to clash with each other or you have a ftp connection limit of 1 or 2 sessions leading to the need for a simple single ftp application which can look at the output folders of our weather products and upload new items to designated folders on our websites.

Any thoughts please?

Automan.

what is wrong with the FTP in WD?
if your ISP limits the number of connections, then make sure you limit the amount of data WD’s upload, or the fequency of uploads, so only 1 connection open at a time
any other ftp program is going to have the same number of connections problem

also with WD there is the general ftp, where you can upload any files on your PC at a set time,to a folder of your choice, so that means there is no need for any other auto ftp program

and with the customise internet and file creation setup in WD, you can set which remote folder the selected file uploads to, and you can even upload files to up to 4 different ftp servers

There is a lot of overlap in the ftp are. Most weather programs have built-in ftp ability. There is ftp ability built into windows. There are many ftp clients available. There are even programs that keep one or more folders on your computer automatically sync’d with a remote site via ftp. Which way you go depends on your own preferences and familiarity with the various options. There are lots of ways you can configure WD to handle ftp.

It’s hard to make a recommendation since everyone has different preferences. You can even go the low tech route I described in theis post
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/215774
which gives you complete control over when and what files get sent or retrieved.

Steve

Take a look at flingftp…

http://www.nchsoftware.com/ftp/index.html

I don’t know if it can monitor multiple folders or not…

I have just given fling a fling and first impressions seem good.
Thanks for the tip.

You can set folders on your pc for it to monitor pointing to another folder on your website.

e.g. c:\wdisplay\webfiles to ftp morlocks.co.uk (also exclude filters on extension to stop txt files uploading)
another one does
c:\weatherlink\seaford\webfiles to ftp morlocks.co.uk

both products create files every 5 mins and weatherdisplay takes 10secs followed by weatherlink taking another 20secs

only small snag is wxlocal gets uploaded as wx.html rather than index.html I assume rename was done by ftp in weahterdisplay.

see
morlocks.co.uk weatherdisplay
morlocks.co.uk weatherlink
morlocks.co.uk weatherlink

EDIT:
One small extra is fling loads with no nag or click here to continue message and keeps your folder list okay.
All handy for autoload of applocation on windows boot via StartWatch

Automan.

fling.JPG

I am now trying Site Publisher http://www.sitepublisher.net/ as the last program worked well, ran as a service but now and again got stuck on a file transfer.

Program I am trying now is not free but not very expensive either. Can transfer several files at once but uses a scheduler to check for file changes which I have set at the lowest value of 1min.

Again only uploads changed objects and can delete items from website if required. Exclusions by filename or wild cards can also be set.

Automan.

Automan,

You can upload wxlocal.html as index.html if you want to.

It’s in the Internet File Creation setup.

Just curious, how is it checking for differences in a file. Size, time, date??

–Dave

I am back with fling, memory errors from sitepublisher after running a while.

Easy for fling to test as I assume it just looks at local folders and looks for date or maybe sizes changes and just copies those that change.

Automan.