What a day, and there's more tomorrow!!

Well, to cut a long story short(ish), I was busy running around doing shopping etc this morning and didn’t have time to look at WD. I finally sat down at the PC around 2pm to find that all the data from my WS2300 had flatlined and had been like that since 11pm last night.
The data from the 1-Wire sensors had continued to be logged so I at least had that.
No problem I though, I did a reboot of the PC and got the WS2300 loading data again, then I reset the datalogger to midnight, save/exit and restarted WD. The logger seemed to load OK but I was still left with a flatline, so I did the convert logs to graphs & rebuild last 31 days graphs, all to no avail. :frowning:
Still, the WS2300 was sending data again so I lost some but it’s working.

Well, 1 hour later I got a spike in the wind from the 1-wire, up to 99knots! Now I know that’s not right, so I checked the setup in WD and was detecting then dropping all the 1-Wire sensors. I stopped and restarted WD again but it continued to spike and then go to zero until it finally went to zero & stayed there. Nothing being detected on the 1-Wire system, not even with the AAG software. The adaptor seems OK, well it’s detected by the PC if I unplug & plug back in again and it asks for new drivers if I plug it into a different USB port, plus it’s showing in the Device Manager, but I can’t get any program to recognise anything on the 1-Wire system and I’m left with a screen looking like the attached. :frowning:

The problem is that it’s dark now and I can’t get on the roof to see if anything has happend up there until the morning so has anyone got any other ideas that would help eliminate things from down here in the mean time?

I don’t think this is a WD issue as the AAG program isn’t detecting the sensors either.

How can you loose both major parts of your system in one day and why did the 1-Wire wait until the WS2300 was running again before giving up? #-o

Cheers for any help. :wink:

Take a deep, cleansing breath…then, go out in the morning when your head is clear (from sleep) and begin to check and re-check everything…probably something simple…

Hope this helps…not real technical…just practical! :slight_smile:

Your the one who usualy gives out great advice to others Budgie!
I am sure you will find what is wrong tomorrow!

I hope so Brian, I also hope the rain stops by the morning too. :smiley:

Yeah, if anyone can fix it, it’s Budgie :smiley:

I had similar problems with the 1-wire. Usually taking it down and drying it out brought it back to life. Didn’t seem to matter how hard I worked with waterproofing things the problem would come back. I finally retired the 1-wire.

Best of luck Martin…I’m sure that it will not be as catastrophic 8O 8O as first thought :slight_smile: :)…

Hope it’s straightforward Martin.
I recently had a series of probs. Anemometer reed switch, temp spiking.
Reed switch resolved - new anemometer under waranty. T
hanks to some suggestions here on the forum, the FARS motor was giving emes . Removing motor has resolved that until Davis replace the ISS.

I’m sure that with your logical approach ,if it’s a dry day, you will sort things out.

Thanks All, the kind words of suport. :smiley:

Well, without going outside yet, I’ve done some tests and I’m not sure what’s going on here but it initially looks like the USB adaptor has failed.

I’ve move it to different USB ports (after disconnecting the sensors) and when I plug it in it is recognised by the PC as a 1-Wire adaptor and the drivers load OK. It is showing in the device manager, but running the OneWireViewer detects nothing on the system, the AAG program says “Bad Config Port” and reports “setup fail” on all COM ports when you do an Auto Config.

So before I go climbing on the roof and taking down the anemometer and lightning detector I’m going to unistall and reinstall the adaptor to see if I can get that going.

Update:

I’ve been up on the roof and everything seems intact, the anemomenter is spinning away nicely but I by-past the lightning detector, just in case that was causing problems. Everything is dry inside the cases, although there was a little rust on the base of the battery in the lightning detector, which I will replace when I get this lot working again.

I’ve downloaded the latest drivers from Maxim and, since by-passing the lightning detector, I can get the OneWireViewer to see the adaptor and the sensors from the AAG (see Fig1 & Fig2 below). But I still can’t get the sensors to be seen by WD or the AAG Weather program. The AAG program is just showing “Setup Fail” on all ports (Fig3 & Fig4 Below).

So I’m stumped, I’ve emailed Hobby Boards to see if they’ve got any ideas and I’ve also sent the link to this thread as well.

Looks like my wind will be stuck at NE’ly 99 knots for a bit yet as I’m back at work for 4 day from tomorrow.

Fig3.gif

just wondering but has your computer had a windows update happen and in that update, had it updated the usb drivers?
I have had that happen to me using a usb wifi adapter once, could get any wireless connected. a windows update buggered it up for me!

I’ve not done any Windows updates in the last week but there was something odd happening to the PC, that’s for sure. Last night the Moviemaker program kept creating exception errors when it started the alldayvideo at 20 minutes past, but that was an easy one, delete all the images in the alldayvideo file and download the latest .zip again. :wink:

I’ve been emailing Eric from Hobby Boards and a reinstall of the drivers was his suggestion as well.
The OneWireViewer is reading data from the AAG on the roof so the sensors are OK and speaking to the adaptor but the adaptor isn’t speaking to the PC.

I downloaded the latest drivers and thought I’d installed them on Sunday but I’m going to try a complete uninstall of all 1-Wire items and start from scratch when I get home tonight. :wink:

check that the adaptor if seated firmly into the back of the PC?

It’s been firmly seated in 4 or 5 different USB ports so far Brian. :wink:

It’ll have to come out again though for the full re-install.
I’ll let you know how it goes. [-o<

do you have another PC you can try?

That’s the next on my “I want” list Brian, a dedicated weather PC.

Anyway, I had a long evening installing and uninstalling drivers but I think I’ve to it working again.
I was downloading the latest Maxim drivers and it was still only registering in the 1-wire viewer.
I deleted everything to do with the 1-wire system and re-installed the drivers three times in total with the same result each time. I tried everything I could thing of to get it to work.

In the end I used Bob’s (Jaxweather) FAQ, about setting up the lightning detector, and downloaded the older drivers from AAG that he linked too on there.
When I went through the setup it didn’t find the adaptor when it came to fixing the COM port but I skipped this an went on.

When I looking in WD’s 1-wire setup it had picked up the temp & direction ROM IDs and, with a couple of clicks on the Reset button, I was able to copy the wind speed ROM ID across and click Reset again then it started reporting. :smiley:

I’m not jumping through hoops just yet, I’ll leave it overnight and see what it does. :wink:

Hi Martin

Just checked your website and can see your windspeed is working - I hope you have solved all your problems.

Pretty strange what happend :?

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Henrik

Morning Henrik,

Yep, it seems to have held up overnight, there was a couple of spikes when it first started again last night but apart from that it seems to have been quite stable.

Eric (Hobby Boards) thought it strange as well, not only how it went down but also that the adapter won’t run correctly using the updated drivers. The ones I ended up using are from 2003, although they are the ones I used originally.

All I have to do now is get back up on the roof and reconnect the lightning detector. :roll:

Well done Martin… :)…some interesting diagnostics there…Not the 1st time that I have heard of updated drivers causing problems in some way or other…

Great news. Just hope tonight’s winds don’t show your earlier spikes :wink: