Newbie with a WS-2315 and some questions (pic)

That’d be OK. DeoxIT is a well known brand here, I see RadioShack has that too twin pack.

FWIW, I never did get the wireless aspect of my 2307 (essentially the same I think?) working reliably - it did actually work for about 3 months, and then suddenly dropped out. Changing batteries got it working again sporadically, but it was never totally reliable so I finally bit the bullet and bought 50m of extension cable fom the local DIY shed (I underestimated and 50m is only just enough). It has worked faultlessly since (and that was February 17th 2007). For what it cost (next to nothing) I’d recommend running a cable - and you get the added bonus that the mains adapter for the console also powers your sensors.

You also get a faster update on the wind speed using it with the cable. :wink:

Well guys…no signal this AM. :frowning: I guess the batteries didn’t do the trick. I’m starting to wonder if the unit itself is faulty.

dooommmmm!!!..Well that’s our 1st penneth scuppered… :oops: mmmm…Are you running the console with a mains adapter?..

I just had a re-look at your initial picture…It would be better if the Hygro unit was not under the rain guage but separated from it…I used the long runs of cable from the rain-guage and anemometer to get the temp/hygro unit in a reasonable location that was a lot closer to the house (and therefore console)…to do that I just pushed the cable down some hose pipe and then buried the hose pipe in the lawn…You’ll find that not only will you achieve greater proximity to the console but you’ll also get more meaningful readings from the Temp/Hgro unit when it is raining…ie the water from the rain guage has to go somewhere and at the moment ot would be probably running down and onto the Hygro unit…
therefore…I would ascertain if by moving the Hygro/temp (the transmitter) unit on (a tempory basis initially) to see if that helps with reception problems. After that there are additional things that you may wish to modify (a plant-pot Stevenson screen perhaps aka bashy/others have made) or even a solid wire up job…

Yes, I have the indoor console plugged into a wall outlet.

The unit “magically” came on board about an hour ago. The lows last night I believe were in the mid 20’s? My wife and I went to my company Christmas party last night…and around midnight when we got home, the unit was still working fine. Temps in the low 30’s…around freezing. It went out sometime between 1-ish and 7 this AM.

I’m not sure if it’s an interference issue…or a temp issue. Right now, I’m leaning more towards temps. Once it gets around the mid-20’s, my signal goes south.

Maybe I should try temporarily hardwiring the console to the outside unit?

What’s the distance to the console?

Here in the Netherlands it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to get Lithium batteries. Does any of you have experience with Duracell Procell, because they are easier to get. --Hans

20-25 feet. The console is in the bay window…right above where I have the sensors mounted. If you look at that pic I posted, the console is up and to the right.

Amazon UK sell them…can you go to an equivalent site for the Netherlands…Have you tried googling the web…

mmm…are you saying that the hygro/temp unit on the post doesn’t actually face the console…it shouldn’t make that much difference (unless it was on the post face, facing away from the Rx)…I think a trial move close may be the answer’‘’

Amazon UK only sells electronic goods within the UK/Ireland. And yes, I’ve googled a lot and asked local stores for advice on batteries. GP is popular here, but they don’t have Lithuim, Energizer not officially available. Duracell Cellpro is what most stores offer me at around a euro per piece. --Hans

Hi Hans,

Doom…I’m surprised that the Lithiums haven’t hit your market place yet…surely they are available on mainland EU in the Euro zone (Germany perhaps)…they have been available here for a couple of years…Only the Lithiums behave well in cold conditions to my knowledge…all the alkaline types (whatever make) I’m sure will be effected by low temperature conditions…

munrobaggins,

I moved the temp sensor so it’s now facing the house/bay window.

I’ve attached two pics of the set up. One of of the entire outside setup…with the temp sensor moved. The other is a pic of the outside setup and it’s relationship to the house. The inside console is located in the bay window closest to the outside setup.

Yikes…where has the green lawn gone???..The problem is becoming more apparent now…You need to think quite a lot about optimising ALL the sensor positions/locations as well as sorting out the possible TX to Console optimisation…

The Anemometer needs to go as high as possible (above the roof line if possible) to get unobstructed wind flow…The rain-guage should be in an open space clear of hedges/buildings etc about 2 to 4 ft above ground level with no rain shadow effect…The outside temp/hygro unit (Tx) should not be effected by external temp sources (ideally with a Stevenson Screen over it) but be as close as possible and facing the console location (unless hard-wired)…a diiference in height also may effect good reception; as the Ae will not be too sophisticated and the radiation pattern will be of doughnut type shape I would imagine…

I see some experimentation with the locations coming up…when the weather gets a bit more condusive to that sort of thing :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

HA! That’s New England for ya! Another storm rolls in tonight…but it’ll be mostly sleet/freezing rain for us. Some areas in Northern New England could get a foot or more of snow. I wish that was the case here.

I agree. This is just to “test” everything out. This time of year isn’t ideal to be up on the ladder. Plus, with the issue I’m having with the unit dropping the signal, a simple battery change would have been a lot more complicated had I mounted it under the roof soffet.

Temp is currently falling. I’ll post up if the signal drops tonight. It seems to go out when it drops below 25F…currently at 24.4F…

Ok guys…signal is gone. I’m pretty certain this is a temp issue. It was under 25 when I last checked.

So…do you think it’s the outside unit itself? I’m starting to think it’s faulty…I just put those new lithiums in less than 24 hours ago.

EDIT

I just ran the cable from a window, to the outside unit. The signal now works. So I’m going to assume the outside unit works fine…it’s just the wireless part of that unit that goes haywire when the temp drops under 25F.

I guess I’ll call Lacrosse on this one. 25F isn’t particularly cold and I think the wireless part should function at that temp. Thoughts?

It could still be a power problem as the consol powers the sensors when wired direct. But have a word with La Crosse and see what they say anyway. :wink:

So possibly still a battery issue?