Newbie with a WS-2315 and some questions (pic)

How about dielectric grease? I sometimes use that on the vehicles/ATV/lawn equipment. Will that work as well?

Thanks again everyone. I’m really happy this may just be a simple battery issue. I’m going to stop on the way home and pick up some e2 Lithium ones that CVS carries. Hopefully, the station will be up and running for the big storm we’re supposed to get Saturday night into Sunday. :smiley:

The stuff I use is an “electrical contact treatment oil” to prevent corrosion of electrical contacts…sorry, I’m not familiar with the product you have mentioned, but it sounds like the heavy duty stuff you put on large battery contacts etc…the stuff I use is a fine oil and used very sparingly… :wink:

I don’t think I’d be putting dielectric grease in there, at least not without knowing exactly what product it is.

The dielectric is pretty burly stuff. I put it under the plug cap on my quad to keep it from arcing…works like a charm in deep water crossings.

niko,
What do they sell in the states that would be similar to what munrobaggins suggested.

This is the [color=red]closest I could get[/color] in the USA to the product that I use … :wink:…as I said, I use it very sparingly…Maybe Niko could confirm OK…I suppose it is similar to WD40 but I wouldn’t use that… :frowning:

Cool! Thanks! I’ll hold out and see what Niko says. I have a Radio Shack pretty close by.

According to Electrolube they have two distributors in the U.S:

http://www.christopherweb.com/newsite/ where I found nothing.
http://www.echeloninc.com/ where I found loads: http://www.echeloninc.com/contactlubricants.htm :smiley:

Welcome along Glenn, I have a friend close by with the same equipment and he has had lots of problems getting reliable contacts in the sockets so yes, any surface protectant and water repellant would be good for it. We both use the unit in fully cabled mode. Have fun and keep up with the comms here… :slight_smile:

Well blow me down Budgie…I didn’t look far enough on the Electrolube site to spot the USA distributor…Good spot :slight_smile: :)…I have had my spray can for about 30 years plus (I kid you not)…Mine is Contact treatment Oil-2AX…but I see that there is no mention of that specific code there on the site, so it has probably been superceded or upgraded…However, what it says on the can is: 1. Reduces contact resistance 2. Suppresses arcing and wear 3. Prevents oxide and sulphide film formation 4. Non flammable 5. Safe on most plasics, paints and rubbers.

I also put a small amount of electrolube on the battery connections too (in the hygro unit) and it seems to work well at preventing problems arising… :wink: :wink:

Lithium batteries have been installed, station re-synced…I’ll keep everyone posted this weekend. It’s going to be 17F tonight, so if any issues arise, I should know by tomorrow AM. Thanks again to everyone for helping me out with this. :smiley:

TokKiwi,
Awesome, thanks! It’s always good to get firsthand experience. What kind of protectant did he use on the sockets?

That’d be OK. DeoxIT is a well known brand here, I see RadioShack has that too twin pack.

FWIW, I never did get the wireless aspect of my 2307 (essentially the same I think?) working reliably - it did actually work for about 3 months, and then suddenly dropped out. Changing batteries got it working again sporadically, but it was never totally reliable so I finally bit the bullet and bought 50m of extension cable fom the local DIY shed (I underestimated and 50m is only just enough). It has worked faultlessly since (and that was February 17th 2007). For what it cost (next to nothing) I’d recommend running a cable - and you get the added bonus that the mains adapter for the console also powers your sensors.

You also get a faster update on the wind speed using it with the cable. :wink:

Well guys…no signal this AM. :frowning: I guess the batteries didn’t do the trick. I’m starting to wonder if the unit itself is faulty.

dooommmmm!!!..Well that’s our 1st penneth scuppered… :oops: mmmm…Are you running the console with a mains adapter?..

I just had a re-look at your initial picture…It would be better if the Hygro unit was not under the rain guage but separated from it…I used the long runs of cable from the rain-guage and anemometer to get the temp/hygro unit in a reasonable location that was a lot closer to the house (and therefore console)…to do that I just pushed the cable down some hose pipe and then buried the hose pipe in the lawn…You’ll find that not only will you achieve greater proximity to the console but you’ll also get more meaningful readings from the Temp/Hgro unit when it is raining…ie the water from the rain guage has to go somewhere and at the moment ot would be probably running down and onto the Hygro unit…
therefore…I would ascertain if by moving the Hygro/temp (the transmitter) unit on (a tempory basis initially) to see if that helps with reception problems. After that there are additional things that you may wish to modify (a plant-pot Stevenson screen perhaps aka bashy/others have made) or even a solid wire up job…

Yes, I have the indoor console plugged into a wall outlet.

The unit “magically” came on board about an hour ago. The lows last night I believe were in the mid 20’s? My wife and I went to my company Christmas party last night…and around midnight when we got home, the unit was still working fine. Temps in the low 30’s…around freezing. It went out sometime between 1-ish and 7 this AM.

I’m not sure if it’s an interference issue…or a temp issue. Right now, I’m leaning more towards temps. Once it gets around the mid-20’s, my signal goes south.

Maybe I should try temporarily hardwiring the console to the outside unit?

What’s the distance to the console?

Here in the Netherlands it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to get Lithium batteries. Does any of you have experience with Duracell Procell, because they are easier to get. --Hans

20-25 feet. The console is in the bay window…right above where I have the sensors mounted. If you look at that pic I posted, the console is up and to the right.