cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Newbie with a WS-2315 and some questions (pic)  (Read 29823 times)

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
Re: Newbie with a WS-2315 and some questions (pic)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »
Here in the Netherlands it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get Lithium batteries. Does any of you have experience with Duracell Procell, because they are easier to get. --Hans
Amazon UK sell them...can you go to an equivalent site for the Netherlands...Have you tried googling the web...

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »
20-25 feet. The console is in the bay window...right above where I have the sensors mounted. If you look at that pic I posted, the console is up and to the right.

mmm...are you saying that the hygro/temp unit on the post doesn't actually face the console....it shouldn't make that much difference (unless it was on the post face, facing away from the Rx)...I think a trial move close may be the answer'''

Offline HansF

• Wageningen, The Netherlands
    • Weather in Wageningen
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
Amazon UK only sells electronic goods within the UK/Ireland. And yes, I've googled a lot and asked local stores for advice on batteries. GP is popular here, but they don't have Lithuim, Energizer not officially available. Duracell Cellpro is what most stores offer me at around a euro per piece. --Hans
1-Wire setup: HB Power Injector -> HB Barometer -> DS18S20 Temp -> HB Humidity/DS18S20 -> HB Leaf Wetness -> HB Solar -> HB Rain Gauge -> DS18S20 Temp -> Cloudtemp sensor

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
Hi Hans,

Doom...I'm surprised that the Lithiums haven't hit your market place yet...surely they are available on mainland EU in the Euro zone (Germany perhaps)....they have been available here for a couple of years...Only the Lithiums behave well in cold conditions to my knowledge...all the alkaline types (whatever make) I'm sure will be effected by low temperature conditions..

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:41 PM »
munrobaggins,

I moved the temp sensor so it's now facing the house/bay window.

I've attached two pics of the set up. One of of the entire outside setup...with the temp sensor moved. The other is a pic of the outside setup and it's relationship to the house. The inside console is located in the bay window closest to the outside setup.

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
Yikes...where has the green lawn gone???????...The problem is becoming more apparent now....You need to think quite a lot about optimising ALL the sensor positions/locations as well as sorting out the possible TX to Console optimisation...

The Anemometer needs to go as high as possible (above the roof line if possible) to get unobstructed wind flow...The rain-guage should be in an open space clear of hedges/buildings etc about 2 to 4 ft above ground level with no rain shadow effect...The outside temp/hygro unit (Tx)  should not be effected by external temp sources (ideally with a Stevenson Screen over it) but be as close as possible and facing the console location (unless hard-wired)....a diiference in height also may effect good reception; as the Ae will not be too sophisticated and the radiation pattern will be of doughnut type shape I would imagine...

I see some experimentation with the locations coming up...when the weather gets a bit more condusive to that sort of thing  :) :)

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »
HA! That's New England for ya! Another storm rolls in tonight...but it'll be mostly sleet/freezing rain for us. Some areas in Northern New England could get a foot or more of snow. I wish that was the case here.

I agree. This is just to "test" everything out. This time of year isn't ideal to be up on the ladder. Plus, with the issue I'm having with the unit dropping the signal, a simple battery change would have been a lot more complicated had I mounted it under the roof soffet.

Temp is currently falling. I'll post up if the signal drops tonight. It seems to go out when it drops below 25F...currently at 24.4F.....

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Ok guys...signal is gone. I'm pretty certain this is a temp issue. It was under 25 when I last checked.

So...do you think it's the outside unit itself? I'm starting to think it's faulty.....I just put those new lithiums in less than 24 hours ago.

EDIT

I just ran the cable from a window, to the outside unit. The signal now works. So I'm going to assume the outside unit works fine...it's just the wireless part of that unit that goes haywire when the temp drops under 25F.

I guess I'll call Lacrosse on this one. 25F isn't particularly cold and I think the wireless part should function at that temp. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:13:26 PM by Glenn »

Offline Budgie

• Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CWOP: CW7959
  • Lochaber, Scotland
    • Lochaber-Weather
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »
It could still be a power problem as the consol powers the sensors when wired direct. But have a word with La Crosse and see what they say anyway.  :wink:

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 09:31:27 PM »
So possibly still a battery issue?

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Hi Glenn,

Well it is good to see that using a directly wired Hygro/temp sensor from the Console that all appears OK...at least that is a step in the right direction.. :)

It just may still be a problem with the antenae radiation coverage pattern vers temp and battery voltage; thus Tx power output....although I have my doubts....

Could you test the console reception by using the unwired console in the room below the upstairs bay window...ie at the same level as the outside Tx unit...

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »
I agree. At least we've figured out that it's the wireless signal.

Yep! Sure can! I'll go put the unit in our laundry room right now while I get ready for my wife's office Christmas party.

Offline Glenn

• Wallingford, CT
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
No dice on the signal when moving the console downstairs. I'd say it was probably 12' at the most from the outside unit.

Is it safe to assume the outside unit is completely shutting down when it gets to a certain temp?

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 11:40:17 PM »
It certainly looks that way...the only way to check would be to take the console outside close to the Tx and see if you can synchronise the console with it....if it doesn't, then I would say that the Wireless Transmissions from the Temp/hygro unit are completely shutting down at low temps... :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:42:00 PM by munrobaggins »

Offline Bigbaywx

• Big Bay, Michigan
    • Big Bay, Michigan Local Weather
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 01:16:16 AM »
I highly doubt that it's a battery issue.  I've had mine running for about a month with standard alkalines and I've gotten down below zero already and it keeps chugging right along.  I read in the manual that you can take the batts out of the out door unit, connect the cable and it will run off the power from the display going up the cable.  If it works o.k. with the cable then you know it's either a power issue or perhaps something is wrong with the wireless setup.  The instructions say that the batteries should be good for about a year running wireless and six months being cabled.  Methinks there is something not kosher with your unit.

cumulus