Wind sensor off?

OK my La Crosse 2317 wind sensor has been showing 5-6 mph less than the airport which is 5 miles from my house. I did not mount the sensor as high as recommended by the research I found but did not want to invest more money at this time. Its mounted 11’ high and away from trees and not close to any structures. From the research it was recommended to go 33’.

So my question is do you think this is due to the height, the low end equipment, variables from my house to the airport or maybe a combination?

Thanks

If it’s the same difference through the full 360 degrees then it’s likely to be a combination of the height and local conditions, more likely the later. 5-6mph isn’t really anything to worry about.
Also, make sure you’re looking at the correct time when you compare your data with the airport’s, most airports don’t have live weather data feeds and report their weather at regular intervals. So you need to read your data for the same time that the airport data is timed for, like on the hour.

I’m about 90 ft higher than our local airport, that’s 6 miles away, it’s in a dip and I’m on the end of peninsula. I can read different wind speeds and direction. :wink: