Need some advice on USB extender and cam please

Hi peeps

I got issues, apart from everything else i got an issue with the camera.

I have this USB Extender, 30m of CAT5e cable and the Logitech 9000 pro

The issue is the camera keeps dropping out, I have tried it with and without a 5v psu and its still the same.

I have a smaller 20m cable (different company) attached at present and its not too bad, it dropped out once
so far and thats without a PSU 20m cable as its too small and i cannot fix it to the walls, its just laid across
the floor at present.

What do you think (in your experience in this situation) the issue could be, do i need a 7v PSU or a new cable
although the cable was brand new with the extender from here, acutally from the same guy as the extender…

I am at a loss as to what to do, i dont want to waste money i dont really have and its really doing my head in :frowning:

When I did mine I kept it USB all the way, mind you I’m only go about 12m from the PC to the camera location.
I’ve used two Active USB extentions plus the 2m cable on the camera. These can be extended upto 25m, 5 of the active cables in series, as the recommended distance.

How does the camera work with just the USB extender cable is fitted, does it still drop out?
Are you sure the CAT5 cable is wire correctly for the USB camera? If you’ve got a multi-tester then make sure that the USB side corresponds to the way that the CAT5 has been wired. The 1-Wire sensors I have need an “end-to-end” wired CAT5 instead of the “crossover” type.

Normally, if the distance of the cable run is too long the you’ll still get a signal from the camera but the quality will suffer.

Hi m8

this is the actual cable i bought (straight not crossed)

Actually the cam worked ok yesterday and this morning on the 30m, But i was moving it to a higher location
this afternoon and i dropped (about 15 foot #-o) the psu i was using and no longer works, it was a 5v but i
have 2 more 5v psu’s and when i use them on the cam it drops out, so it could well be the psu’s i have. It’s
strange that 1 5v works but the other 2 5v dont (very well)

On the 30m the cam wont work without the psu, but i have a basic cam and that worked fine without a psu
So it looks like the Logitech requires more power than normal.

I have the cam working without a psu at the moment on about 20m of cable…Actually i just checked it and
it had dropped :frowning:

What PSU do you recommend, bearing in mind im in the UK, the extender says 5v

Looks to me like you have a USB 1.1 extender, and a USB 2.0 camera. What type of USB port is it plugged into, 1 or 2 ?

I was told on another post here that the cam can handle USB 1.1 and 2.0

I do have 2.0 ports but as the extender is 1.1 then thats pointless, the cam was running
ok last night, its just that i broke the psu i was using and now the other 2 i have aint
working it too good :frowning:

Sack the juggler!! :lol:

Check the mA output of the PSU’s and make sure they are the same as the original. :wink:

The thing with the active cables I’ve used is that you don’t need a PSU for them, they’re just “plug ‘n’ play”. :wink:

I cant use the active ones as i need 30m :frowning: also it would cost a small bomb lol

The MA is considerably lower than the original psu, original was 2000Ma and
the other 2 or 750 and 350 so this will explain it all lol

I will go to Argos tomoz and buy the 2500ma multi valtage psu

Hi Bashy…that sounds like a fair bit of a power requirement to run the camera over 30m (2A at 5v = 10W)…is there anything listed in the camera guide/instructions to give power consumption/requirements of the Logitech camera…have you checked that there are no poor connections along the run…does the camera (or indeed any connections) feel quite warm when it is running as that may be a confirmation of power being used…

I cant find any power information anywhere, not in the instructions nor on the website :frowning:
The camera was stone cold when it was on the psu…

I dont understand power requirement figures anyway, not that brainy.

The only poor connect would be where i have to cut the cable and rejoin it to get it through
the wall but i twisted the joints and soldered them and then hot glued it all to make it water tight.
Other than that its a straight through cable and worked fine with the basic cam with no psu and
it worked ok on the 5v 2a psu…

Well it sounds as though you did a decent join on the cable…and the other 2 x 5v PSU were considerably lower rated than the one that you dropped…Let’s hope the extra oomph of the higher rated PSU, provides the goods… :slight_smile: :)!!!

An extender of

I just remembered my jabra headset has a psu but its only 5v 250ma
I have plugged it in and it appears to be working atm, this hasnt helped at all has it lol
so why dont the other 2 psu’s work and they’ve got a little more power lol…

Oh well, i will get the psu tomoz and see what happens, i cant use the Jabra psu as i need it :frowning:

It can sometimes be about the PSU being able to produce a “Regulated” voltage…It may be that the latest PSU you are using is of that type (as maybe the broken one was)…Our friend Mr Maplin sells them but most are either 4.5v or 6v…I couldn’t find a regulated 5v at all (only unregulated)… :(…mind you it would be interesting to know what voltage drop you are getting down the cable to the camera :wink:

Yeah i looked through the Maplin book tonight, but they looked a lot dearer anyway lol
Its still running on the Jabra psu, so i think if it still runs ok in the morning i will use the Jabra 1
as the other psu’s run the Jabra ok lol :slight_smile:

http://www.bashys-place.com/weather/wx12.html

Will see how it goes, if there’s one thing i’ve learnt and that’s to not count my chickens…

'mornin Bashy…just tried the link above and your camera is working fine…but the audio frightened me fa*tless…firstly I heard the gentle pitter, patter of rain, followed by a blackbird singing…and then the ROAR of a truck (or something v.heavy) going past…WOW! 8O 8O

Sounds as though there are frequent aircraft overflights too…

ha ha ha ha ha…

It was a train, about 200m away and down a slope of about 100m, we got used to them now
1st night i was here and the train woke me up i shot up, jumped out of bed, drag her with me
and shouted theres a helicopter landing on the roof :oops: #-o

I am now going to attempt to move it back to the higher point in a few mins :slight_smile:

That was me. From the picture on the link you posted it looks to be the same one I have. Mine is 1.1 which I have at one time or another connected to 4 different web cams all of which are USB 2.0. I’ve had them connected on Cat 5 cable on lengths of 50’, 100’, and once to 150’ (15, 30, 45 meter) as a test. I’ve never used an external power supply.

Mine has been working this way for over a year now. Are you running it straight from the computer or a hub? I assume a hub as you’re talking power supplies. If a hub, I’d try directly to the computer USB port as a test.

–Dave

Hi Dave

Its actually direct to the pc, it’s most likely to be the low quality of the extender, it was cheap.
The cam is now running fine with using a 5v 350ma psu (wont run without it) on the extender
where the plug goes in it actually says 5v 2A so it does require 2A where as im using 0.35A

Must not be the same extender. Mine has no input for a power supply.

–Dave

more than likely m8, its in the 1st post, was only cheap’ish from eBay