Sony Mini DV (tape) camcorder to PC

Hi

Has anyone had any experience in this field please?
I got my missus a used 1 off eBay and its meant to be able to transfer the images/video to the PC

I have installed all the software and drivers (before in connected the cam)
It will USB stream video but i cannot/dont know how to get the images or video on to the PC

I followed the instructions but still no go for launch.

Can anyone help on this one please?

This probably is a dumb question but do you have the USB wire from the PC connected to the mini-USB slot on the camera? I’m assuming you can watch the video on the PC but you cannot save it. Correct? If yes set the included software to “capture” and it will capture the video to your designated hardware. (Camera > harddrive). Be aware that video files take up ginormous amounts of space so be sure you have enough spare space on your harddrive. There is all sorts of video editing software around the net…some for free…some for pay. I use two or three different ones because some features are not available in different packages. You can also do a raw capture to a DVD which will bypass the PC which will also compress the video into manageable sizes. The when you have time you can edit the video file from the DVD. Nero does a really good job for capturing NTSB and PAL. Sony’s Vegas is a good editing package. If you have a firewire port on the camera and on the PC it gives much better results than USB. (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp)

There’s also a possibility that I dimmly remember something about not being able to transfer to the PC from the camera over USB. It’s been a long, long time since I did any transferring or editing

Hi Lulu

Thanks a lot for your post, It prompted me to install my Adobe Premier and ya right i can download from the camcorder
with it :slight_smile: I was trying to use the software that came with the cam but it didnt work at all…

I do have a firewire port on both the cam and PC so i will have to find my cable for it and give that a go as well

Thanks again, you’ve been a great help :slight_smile:

If you have Windows XP it has a movie maker. Look under programs/accessories/Windows movie maker. I have never used it, I use my Apple for movies much easier. Joe

Hi

I have actually just finished playing with WMM :slight_smile: thanks though, appreciated