'Telephone type' plug on WMR928 N thermo/hygrometer cable

When I set up my Davis VP2, I gave my OS to the local primary school. A local twit vandalised it, pulled off the transmitter for the therm/hygr and cut the wires to the transmitter.
Having cooled off (the culprit was discovered and prosecuted), I want to get it up and running for them.
I am totally clueless as to the plug I need and the order in which the wires are fitted,

I think it may be repairable by buying another transmitter and fitting a correct plug on the instrument cable.
My 10m extension cable seems to have six wires but the T/H only five - white green blue red yellow. Although there is a black wire on the circuit board, doesn’t seem to be one in the cable from it…

Is this correct? Can anyone tell me the plastic plug I need?

Any help much appreciated - want to get it up and running before the festive vacation and local poor weather.

Hi there, i have a davis system myself but im pretty sure they will use rj-11 connectors (standard phone connectors). Usually you use 2/4/6 flexes but i have never come across 5.

Might be good if you could post a pic of the cut wire? It may be that you could use 6 core phone cable, but as i dont own one i couldnt tell you for sure.

Im pretty sure you could get this cable from maplins : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=68&doy=29m11 (but obviously keep the current modular ends to see which wires go where).

Then crimp clip these on the end : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1433&doy=29m11 (the 6 pin ones)

Hi

Yep, I pulled the wires on mine apart last year (it’s a long story!), but there are only 5 wires. It uses standard rj-11 connectors, and I managed to splice a piece of 6 flex as an extension into the whole setup. From memory I either didn’t connect the 6th wire, or spliced it in to the two connectors at each end of the extension on the basis that it was only connecting into a 5 terminal socket anyway.

Cheers
Andrew

Many thanks.
Saved me stripping the cable right back to the sensor. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

Had a mail from another forum member and following his advice, I stripped more of the outer cable.
Lo and behold, there was the broken black wire :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the link. Will get it sorted hopefully next week