1 wire 12v supply

Hi there. I am currently building a clone ISS (out for 1 wire instruments) and have included a fan, now i see that the 1 wire line can support 12v, would it be at all possible to use a twisted pair (i only use the blue and blue white currently) to send 12v (or just 5v if it had to be) to to the fan along the cat5 cable from the serial connection at the pc?. This would save alot of hassle routing another dc cable to the mount, would it cause noise along the other twisted pairs? My only worry is that the cable carnt support the voltage, i.e get hot. I have a DC transformer which outputs at 9v 100ma , this is what would be going down to the pairs.

Thanks.

If the 12v is only for the fan then you could go for a solar power fan, Maplin’s do one for a reasonable price, and you can change the propeller! :wink:
Either that or go for a Hobby Boards Power Injector, which you’ll need anyway of you’re using their barometer.

Hi

If you are thinking of expanding your 1 wire system I would go for the hobby boards, power injection system
I would also go for their transformer 15 V 1 amp this is what I am using on my system

my rain duration sensor needs 12 V D. C. I have connected this directory to the 15 v unregulated supply
due to the distance, I am getting a voltage drop down to 12 V

www.weather-above.com

this article has been amended
thank you Eric oops

One quick little clarification. Our Universal AC Adaptor outputs unregulated 15v DC not AC. It takes AC in but outputs DC.

Eric

Eric - thanks for keeping an eye on things HB!! :wink:

TokKiwi