My new camera

Hi peeps

I decided to go wireless again, actually it was a bit of a gamble as i didnt know if it was
going to work in WD, and it does…wahooooo :slight_smile:

Anyway, this cam aint the best in the world, actually probably far from it and I aint actually
seen what its like in the daytime yet,

This is what i bought the reason i bought this was the fact that it has a dual connection and one of
them is USB :slight_smile: This is what led me to believe the WD should pick it up and it does, this means
i can do away with the 3rd party software that was using too many resources, this is all on
the hope that it works ok in daylight lol

I have noticed that there is a slight reception issue with it at present but i am hoping to clear
that up tomorrow by extending the antenna at the back of the camera, its only a small wire
so should be straight forward. Anyway, i will let you know if its ok or i bought another lemon
tomorrow :slight_smile:

ps. might be a wireless VEO on the market soon :wink:

I think you will find that the current aerial length is a “tuned” length for the frequency, it may be the positioning of the receiver that is more important, I hope with the coming day that you can sort it out!! Oh its a Saturday as well :wink: Sunny day here, probably get to 22

I ya prob right, I have moved the receiver a little and it has improved although the night vision
dont do it any favours when looking out of a window pmsl…

I hav a feeling its gonna be a stressful day tomorrow, whats this 22oC tis ok for some,
prob be lucky to 10oC :frowning:

It was not as good as i expected it to be :frowning: just my luck 'eh?

The reception was poor, 100m, my chocolate starfish…
Too many items interfered with it, mainly the Microwave, that blanked out the image
when i put it in the kitchen lol

Anyway, its gone back this morning…

I have now purchased: this - this - and this and if this dont work then i give up… :?

That should be a great camera…

RightLight™2 Technology: Adjusts intelligently to produce the best possible images in dim light or backlighting.

Something they seem to do better than some others. Will be interesting to see the results!

Graeme

Yeah i hope so m8, I cant wait to be honest, I wish i had done this approach in the beginning, but as i didnt
want cable running through the house i thought it best to try the wireless approach 1st, I dont recommend
it unless you got some money to by a decent setup.

The concept of the one i bought yesterday was absolutely brill what with it being able to connect to USB,
theres not many, if any CCTV cameras that work with USB there usually Scart for the cheaper ones and
BNC for the dearer ones, If the Reception and the interference was rectified it would be a great camera
but as it stands its pants…

There’s sommat else i forgot to mention about that camera, it was second hand I didnt realise this at 1st,
but someone had written budgie on the instructions and the power supplies had not been put back with the
ties, The screws were loose in the box and there was no raw plugs i gave them some stick when i took it back
thats for sure

Anyway, I just hope the USB extender does the jo…Oh crap, i just realised, the extender is USB 1.1 #-o
here we go again…

Could get an IP camera and connet it to a wireless access point.

Mark

Thats what i had at 1st with the VEO thats not a bad camera but does not work with WD
I had to use a 3rd party program (Active Webcam) to produce the jpg but the program kept
dropping the camera and also used to many PC resources…

Looking at the Logitech, it dint state whether or not its USB 1.1 or 2.0 so i would say it’s best
on 2.0 but will work on 1.1, Hopefully :slight_smile:

I have this and it works very well with WD. The camera is 2.0 and the extender is 1.1.

–Dave

Thats ok then so there’s no issues with my 1.1 extender, perhaps my luck is changing :slight_smile:

Cheers Dave :slight_smile:

My Quickcam 9000 pro came today, it aint too bad, I need to see what its like with more light
as it took me ages to figure out that the cam needs an external power source for the USB
extender (basic cam didnt need 1)

Anyway, this time of night the images are usually pitch black, but i can still see fairly well, so
thats a good start…

I was expecting a better quality image from a distant object but again the light wernt brill so
will have to see tomoz when i can have decent play with it, but heres an image to see what
it was like at 4pm, i think i need to adjust sommat as the clouds appear a little too red with
the sunset… (the clouds are in the east lol)

160030jpgwebcam.jpg

It looks pretty good to me Bashy… those can be natural colours even in the east at sunset :wink:

Cheers m8, it certainly didn’t look as vivid as the image does that’s for sure, but i like it.
Cant wait till tomoz so i can have a decent play,

Hi Bashy, I’m really interested to know how you get on with the 9000 as I’m just about to write my letter to Santa!!!

Will the auto focus work through glass and will it focus on display objects?

James

Hi James

I will let you know tomorrow m8 when i have had a play.
If your gonna use it for the weather then i wouldnt use the Auto Focus, Although it does work
through the glass, if there is dirt on the glass (even minute) it will focus on it, Again, if using it
for the weather, make sure there is nothing that will move in front of the camera like trees or
plants and so on, these will play with the focus and more than likely upset the image.

Also note, if there is a bug on the window or rain, the focus will concentrate on the window
again giving a poor image, I have it turned off.

I will let you know more in the morning :slight_smile:

1st things 1st…

If anyone is going to use this sort of camera over a distance, i.e. using USB extenders and CAT5e cable
then you will need a reasonable power supply, I have a 5v one but i feel i may need to get a new 1 as
sometimes the cam drops out, Perhaps its the ampage, I will have to figure it out…

As for the camera itself, The colour is great and there are numerous settings to improve it should you need
to, The Rightlight technology does not work during the daytime as the light is good enough, however it will
kick in at night time and it gives me about 30 - 60 minutes longer before it turns to pitch black and cant see
anything.

The focus needs to be on manual when using it for the weather as it will try to focus on anything other than
what you want it to.

The Zoom is pants when using it at a low resolution, it turns very pixelated and that brings me back to the image
quality. I am using it at 352x288 it seems to be a happy medium, If you set it to 640x480 it starts to turn pixelated
, but if you go to 1600x1200 then the image is clear as a bell but you loose out on the frame rate.

For supposedly the best cam on the market, Yes, i suppose it is for a normal webcam and using it for its original
purpose, as for a weather cam, I dont think i will be using it for any more than a year, perhaps 6 months tops,
i will then get a Digital Camera they appear to be more suited, but for the time being it will do.

As a recommendation; I wouldnt have bought it if i could have tried it first, i am sure the lower priced would be
just as good (Logitech that is) Perhaps i was expecting more, actually i was, and it is very good as normal webcam,
just not suited to distant objects, not in my opinion anyway…

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting 1 :?

To be honest i aint overly impressed with the cam, on 352x288 you can see the wind mast starts
to pixelate some, the only setting that dont pixelate is the 1600x1200 but thats really too big more
so for streaming as it looses its decent frame rate perhaps down to 15fps frpm 30fps