La Crosse WS-2310 Anemometer Repair

One of the most common problems with the La Crosse anemometers is that the ring magnet found on the impeller disintegrates and falls off. It appears that they use a compacted iron powder magnet that just isn’t up to the long term task. If you look at the impeller, it should have a black ring on the side that faces away from the wind direction vane. Since La Crosse will only sell complete sensor units, you are left with the only option of spending $60 to $70 for a replacement anemometer until now, that is. I have a friend who has a magnet manufacturing company that made replacement magnets for me that are N40 grade (nickel plated neodymium), the best you can get. The catch was that I had to buy in quantity; still a bargain given the cost of replacing the entire anemometer. Replacement was simple, quick, and a major leap in reliability. So, should you find yourself in the same situation, drop me a note and I’ll give you one, along with detailed instructions and photographs on how to make the repairs. All I ask is shipping and handling costs to cover my expense.

Very decent of you - thanks. I might well be after one myself at some point as I have had my WS2307 anemometer out for nearly a year now.

One question: where abouts in the world are you? That will help determine the shipping costs.

Well done and thanks for the offer. Mine is also new, well 6 months old now, and its getting plenty of work so its great to know there is a solution for failures - Its probably only about US$3 to me here in NZ from the US but I’m not sure about the UK. Still, its nice to know there are parts available (well one anyway) for home refits :wink:

Based on the profile email I think this person is in the US.

Hi InVisionTec

Thank you very much.

My Lacross windvane has started to say noises everytime it turns (winddir).

I gave it some WD40 and the problem seems to solved for now. But I know Lacross is not the best quality - so I might contact you later.

Again - thank you very much for sharing this topic with us.

Best regards,

Henrik

Sorry for the omission of my location. I do live in the United States… Miami, Florida.

The response has been great and I may impose on my friend for more of the ring magnets to meet the obvious demand.

Scott
[email protected]

I managed to get the cups upgrade for my WS2300 and they work better. I think I will go up and check the wind vane to see if its got any friction its seems fine at the moment. :slight_smile:

My propellor at one stage succombed to a minute spider attack of three. We had some calm spells and there are taller trees than my house on my section, so I guess they floated over on the breeze and took up residence!! One tangled up the anemometer propellor and tied it up, another somehow restricted the wind vane and yet another was on the mast doing diagonals up to his/her mates… I used a liberal dose of fly spray and that also proved the propellor action as well… :wink: The finger did some tidying up - at full stretch I might add - but all is still good with original bearings etc. So far…

Photo with camera held high at arm’s reach…

I now have replacement ballbearing packs for the WS-2310 anemometer. These are an upgrade to the ones that La Crosse uses and are easy to replace, once you get it down from your mast down that is. My cost on the bearings was $5.00 (US) each and that is what I will charge along with postage to send them to you. Contact me at [email protected] if your interested.

Scott

User InVisionTec hasn’t been active on the forum for 3 years so I suggest you try a direct email.