Weatherlink is crashing and not restart (Vista PC)

Hello all,

I have a new Vista PC with Virual VP, Startwatch and Weatherlink + WD and WX-Sim.
All the programs are registered

System is running perfectly for about four weeks but the last few days Weatherlink is chrashing all the time but is not restarted by Startwatch.
I have changed nothing to the PC the last weeks so trouble is coming out of the blue.

Can anybody help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Can you email me (support at softwx.com) the log.txt, alerts.txt and startwatch.ini files? If your account is an admin account they will be in the softwx\startwatch folder under program files. Otherwise, they will be buried deep within the c:\users folder somewhere like this: c:\users{username}\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\SoftWx\StartWatch

Also, a more detailed description of how WL is crashing would be helpful - does it hang, throw up a windows application error dialog, close unexpectedly, or … ?

There is a situation where WeatherLink will wait forever during a call to read data from the COM port or the internet. Apparently it reads with no timeout. The problem is if a program hangs while making this call into the windows kernel, the program cannot be terminated by any method other than rebooting. This is a windows “feature”. The reason for this is rather complicated. But I need more information to know if this is the case.

Steve
SoftWx

you got mail. :smiley:

I switched off the “hang” protection. Also in the most lower setting of the hang protection i got a problem in Weatherlink.
System is up now for two days with no problem.

May be you can check something for future versions.

Here also problems with Startwatch and Weatherlink. In the Startwatch display show “stopped” and is gray (normal green). Working with Windows XP. Programs are startwatch, virtualvp, weatherlink, weather-display and Nexstorm. Hoping there wil be a solution…

Thierry van Wijland
WeerZoetermeer.nl

See this thread http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/28791 for a link to the beta of the next StartWatch version. It contains some bug fixes, and some of them may be the same problems described in this thread.

Also, some general advice on using StartWatch. There is a slider control in the program monitor settings window in StartWatch that lets you control the sensitivity of StartWatch’s hang detection. If you have a program that customarily engages in processing for a period of time, and doesn’t accept any interaction with its window during that time, StartWatch can mistake that for the program hanging. You can adjust the sensitivity slider in StartWatch for that program, which will make StartWatch wait longer before it declares the program as “hung”.

Steve
SoftWx