WD doesn't hold overnight data ... can anyone advise, please?

Hi, just got an Oregon Scientific WMR928NX up and running using WD (previously I used Heavyweather).

Last night between 11:00 & 05:30 the PC was switched off and, when I restarted the PC I expected the hardware to update the PC with overnight data - it didn’t!

I’m not really used to WD and I guess that I’ve just got a setting wrong - can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this out (before I power down tonight), please?

WD = 10.37
PC = Vista Home Premium

Please ask if you need more information.

Many thanks
Tony

That’s not a WD issue. The WMR928 has no data storage, it just sends out realtime data. PC off = no data stored for that period.

niko,

Thanks for a super fast response - I guess that, like Ronseal if it does exactly what it says on the tin, I need to start reading the tin!!

Guess I’ll just have to pick the nights when I leave the PC on … stormy, snowy etc. and leave it off for the boring nights

Cheers

Tony

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :frowning:

If its a power consumption issue, PC’s dont normally use that much even under heavy load

I have 1 of them electric save thingys and i have tested this whilst converting a DVD, CPU was
at 100% and it was eating about

I have an ASUS motherboard on my PC and it comes with a until called Al Nap. When it’s run the PC goes into standby. The cooling fans and CPU slow down and the display turns off. The power drops from around 130 watts to 100 watts but my Virtual Weather station software keeps running.

I have tried it over the last 2 days and it worked fine.

I am thinking about using Meteohub http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php as a datalogger (it will soon work with WD). I have looked at the data-pak datalogger but I think it only works with Skymet.

Meteohub will only use a max 10watts from the attached Linksys hub and will work as a server.

100 watts is still quite a lot, I run WD on IBM 2 gHz P4’s in “quiet” mode (CPU slows to stay cool) and they only use 50 watts peak, less on average.

I have a quad core 2.4 ghz with a couple of HDs and a 700w PSU so it will prob use more power.

The best idea is a data logger of some kind that will use far less power and won’t crash on you overnight.

I have a Dual Core AMD AM2 3800+ with 3gb ram and about a total of 1TB HDD space (running vista 32bit)
I get the odd crash but only when i put the comp under pressure.

The worst software to use together for me is:

WD 0% - 50% cpu
Active Webcam 20% - 45% cpu

It gets worse if i upload quite a few files using ftpupd that can sometimes hit 50% cpu
so i have to try to space out the uploading and the majority is done at 5am when im
pushing up the ZZZzzz’s

So with them 3 above alone the sums dont add up, if there all under load at the same time
and that happens quite a lot.

I fear the main issue is more than likely Vista but i have gotten so used to it now that going
back to XP seems so primative, I tried it a month back and hated every minute of it lol

The new OS WMR200 has a very good logger.