Logitech 5000 camera and the sky

I have a logitech 5000 currently recording the outside world.
In teh picture i have some sky, tree’s and some bushes/brush.

The thing is i cannot get the camera to pick out the clouds in the sky, it seems to always look bluey/reddy colour.

I had no issues with the 4000 camera, that needed no settigns changing at all.

Just wondering how you all managed to get your 5000’s showing a decent picture of the sky?

Stuart

On my 5000 I’ve got the main part of the view as the sky with only a small amount of land showing at the bottom of the picture, maybe 10% of the total area.
I don’t remember having to make any alterations to the settings of the camera in my case.

i did just email you before looking at this forum msg! Sorry, think you may have just answered my question!

I will face it more sky-wards to see if that helps.

There is a lot of green in my frame, that may be it.

I will look at that today!

I did it the other way round, I read on here that you’d sent me an email!! :lol:

I’ll check the camera settings when I get home from work (about 8pm) and let you know what I have it set at.
You’ll also find that if the sun is directly on the camera then the Sun will appear black in the centre but the clouds on mine still show up. :wink:

Any chance you could post a shot from your camera so we can see where it’s pointed and if it needs moving any more?

Martin

the image is now at
http://www.wighthobbies.co.uk/wdweather/webcamimage.jpg
I am still moving around slightly so you might see my ugly mug in it over the next 2 hours.

I am using a cheapo logitech messenger webcam I had the same problem the sky just basically washed out and you could not see the clouds planes birds etc.

The resolution was an old pair of raybans (blues brother style) popped the lens out and placed it in front of the webcam lens problem sorted.

Steve

What direction is it pointing?

Maybe not so readily available in the UK but, similar to stumpey’s solution, I’ve used free samples of window tinting film which comes in various light transmission levels to solve this same problem.

It points NEE, so well away from the sun, especially this time of the day.
It gets sun first thing in the morning, but it makes a nice sunrise.

Think it may be sorted now, too much greeny going on, more sky now and looks good.

You still seem to have the same problem with the clouds being pink! and not very clear… :frowning:

Weather looks better than ours grey overcast and damp here this morning

Steve

its a tad overcast with drizzle now. :slight_smile:

I have compared my settings with yours and my white balance was about half way, when your is full on, so changed that, will see if that helps, when it brightens up a bit.

It looks better, but we’ll have to wait until you get some Sun again. :wink:

A few other things I have set that weren’t included in the settings I emailed you were:
In “Camera Settings” - “Advanced”; Automatic Gain Control and Low light boost are ticked, Colour boost not ticked.
In “Camera Control” the exposure is set to Auto, which I think also does the white balance.

Everything is set the same now, sun is coming out now, will see what happens.
fingers crossed

If you are into photography you can also try Neutral Density filters I have a 4 x and an 8 x in my bag they worked very well, but then I needed one so replaced the one in front of the web cam with an old sunglasses lens and this worked OK so never replaced it.

Steve

I went to an eye glass place and asked for a ‘self darkening lens’ with no prescription. They thought I was nuts and I thought they were nuts when they quoted me a price of $40.

I think it would work to limit direct sunshine but haven’t spent the money… yet.

–Dave