Rainfall data inconsistent

I am using a vantage pro2 and Weather Display 10.37f and am having a problem getting the correct rainfall downloaded. A couple of heavy showers yesterday and the console shows 33.2 mm in the last 24 hours which is about right (manual check on a different rain gauge). However I noticed WD was showing only 17.2mm for the last 24 hours. After forcing it to download again in the data logger setup page this then changed to 22.2mm and on a third try the total then changed again. The system has been running for a year without any problems (I think) but I do wonder if I have just not noticed the errors before.

The rainfall bucket is 0.2mm, the logging interval is 1 minute and there are no offsets etc on the rainfall setup.

Anyone got any ideas as to where to look?

Thanks

Someone else reported a possible problem with the last 24 hour rain tag in WD. Maybe check the log file and add up the totals to see if the totals match up…

Expecting some rain here in the next few days so I can finally check the rain amounts and see if they are working correctly under build 17.

Going through the log files (which are now a bit of a mess as I re-imported 3 times) none of the 3 versions are the same and manually adding up the totals gives different amounts (12.2 to 17.2) as well. Using weatherlink to download the data gives the right amount of rain (27.8 - 30mm on the manual rain gauge) so the data on the console is correct. I’ll have to try and pick the files when I have a moment and see if I can correct using the the weatherlink data.

The same thing has happened again today (Console reads 8.4mm and WD thinks it is 7.8mm). Seems to be prone to this when the rain is quite heavy

I too have this issue… OS WMR928NX

Yesterday WD reported 1.0mm, Console reports 3.0mm, I have a larger funnel with offsets to match as well, so
i would have thought WD would report more than the console. I have mentioned this on an other thread and
someone said sommat about WD only updating once a minute, therefore if heavy rain WD cannot keep up, I know we had heavy’ish rain so this could be the problem, bit pointless he having an auto station if you have to
manually adjust the rain, no good offsetting to compensate either as it will record too much when there is
lighter rain. so, more realistically i had about 7.5mm or there about yesterday.

On a side note, the console is showing the monthly @ 28mm and WD @ 22.5mm…

EDIT: Issue resolved!!

If it is WD and the 1 minute delay, is there away to get WD to update every 15 seconds? or have it as an
option for faster machines please?

Glad somebody else is having the same problems, have noticed a difference in rainfall readings between consul and WD since upgrading to 37f-17

Same problem

Ditto, console and WD not showing same and the difference seems to get larger in heavy rain, have offset at 10% to (almost) match console.

If you have it offset, it will be incorrect when there is light rain as it will read more than there was

Hi Bashy

Yesterday WD reported 1.5mm, Console reports 3.0mm, I have a larger funnel with offsets to match as well, so i would have thought WD would report more than the console
Have you somehow changed the program in the console to match your larger funnel? 8O 8O If not it will show more than wd if you have changed "modified raingauge new tip" or "rainfall offset"

:smiley: Krister

Yes m8 i have it set at 0.3718 :slight_smile:

one thing to check, make sure the correct rain gauge type is set in the weather station type setup?

also is this a introduced problem (i.e was this working ok before?)

My rain seems OK, 11.6mm today on both console and WD. Running 10.37f build 17

Mine has been working fine before upgrading to 10.37f as far as I remember. Today the rain is ok (7.4mm on both console and WD) but the rain rate is considerably lower than when I had an error. It seems that heavy squalls cause the problem although I am going to have wait for some to check this out or put a hosepipe in the rain gauge.

Hi Brian

Yesterday was ok, 1mm on the console and 0.4mm in WD, but that was light rain.
So it does look as though when its raining heavy WD cannot keep up?

I would have thought that, as WD is getting info from the console, that it should read exactly the same as the console without any offsets. It does on every other reading. I assumed the offset was to take care of inaccuracies in the sensor reading rainfall.

I believe, but can’t gaurantee, that it was fine before I installed 37f.

Consistent light drizzle today and the console and WD are in perfect sync (10.2mm on both).

I have no rain gauge to console to WD amount discrepancies either. No need for offsets.

Had a heavy squall late today and the numbers don’t match any more - I assume this is the cause. WD is now about 2mm less than the console (20.2 vs 22.2mm)

Capcave

Some basic questions since so many different issues have gotten tossed into this thread:

You have a VP2 - right? (maybe add that to your forum profile so it shows with your posts)
Do you have the metric weight installed on the rain gauge?
What is set as the rain tip in the console?
What is set as the rain tip in WD?
Does the console clock match the PC clock?
Have you entered a different rain reset time on Control Panel, units and other settings?