1-wire solar

Please could some one point me to a step by step set up of a 1-wire solar with a USB adapter

I am in the same situation.
With WD 10.37g b6, no way to set up a 1-wire USB solar sensor.
Tried everything, the device looks to be recognized but no data available (checked OK with Dallas one wire viewer)
It is seen by WD as Humidity sensor by has no effect on the solar data.
Please could somebody help…

You have to copy the ROM ID of the “humidity” device it sees and paste it into the Dallas Solar Sensor tab, and leave the humidity sensor cell empty. You may still have to Close and Save WD and then restart for the data to appear. Did the window in Dallas/One-Wire recognise and see the device(s) and record the ROM ID in the set-up page window? The 1-Wire Viewer saw it easily but as amulti use ROM device but not even as a solar sensor - no problem though.

Goodluck… I had other problems with my PC which forced me to abandone the project for now until I get a faster, newer brick…I often have 100% CPU for 30secs or more before upload time every 5 mins…

Thanks very much for your answer.
What you said is what I did. In the one wire viewer, the sensor looks to work, out of the several voltages read, only Vsens looks to react to sun light.
In WD, Dallas one wire setup, readings/set names/offset panel it give only the temperature and VDD which is not link to sun light at all …
so, the solar value in WD, still 0.
Any idea ?
Thanks

Most solar sensors now are three devices together. You can check in 1-Wire Viewer which is DS2438 device which is the solar sensor and not humidity, and I think Vsens is correct.

There are others who have had these devices working through USB, JaxWeather and DaveQ have both had them working with WD. Mine only started recognising them when WD was turned off then re-started again. But I never had bright sunshine to check for a value, the graph in 1-Wire Viewer showed a “temp” value following actionof a torch light. So I assumed it was correct device. WD never saw any values because it was night-time or full cloud.

Sorry I can’t be any more help.

Now have the senser set up and reading in the OneWireView but that is as far as I can get WD does not seem to be picking up any readings . Does some one have the correct settings to set this up?

Install the 1-Wire drivers and make sure you can see the solar sensor in 1-Wire Viewer. Best not to have WD running when running 1-Wire Viewer

Go to Control Panel > Com port > Dallas 1 Wire. Put the USB com port number in (usually 1). Tick USB port at the bottom. Tick the options that pertain to your setup. See my example below. I am using a 1-wire solar with my Davis VP2, but have used it in the past with a La Crosse 3600.

Go to Control Panel > Dallas 1 wire. Under the Main Tab, the solar sensor will be listed as humidity. Copy that ID to the field under Solar Setup. Go back to Main and click Save/Reset. ( may need to do twice). See example below. You should see voltage readings under Solar Setup Tab (assuming the sun

Com Port Setup Dallas 1 wire.jpg

Dallas 1 Wire Solar Setup.jpg

Solar Sensor Setup 1 Wire.jpg

Graph Setup Solar.jpg

Thank you so much for your very detailed information, I followed it very closely, but despite I see the sensor working with one wire viewer ,WD still not giving any solar value, it recognize it but reads zero mv.
I do not have power supply as you for this solar sensor, maybe this is the problem.
I continue to test it because I am expecting to be able to add other sensors as leaf wetness, soil moisture and Lightning detection, but first I have to make this solar sensior working !
Again Thank you very much

Please tell us which solar sensor you have, supplier and type.

That is a Hobby boards solar sensor.
But, good news, I did reinstall everything, following very closely the explanations above, and…miracle…after few months of trials, now it seems to work OK, so, I thak you all for your help.

Weather Frog,

The power supply should not be necessary to see a voltage reading if you are seeing one in 1 Wire Viewer. Without external power, my voltage would jump around a bit.

Glad you got it working.

Bill

Thank you very much for your posting I think I have been able to get it working but time will tell and a bit of fine tuning and I should be OK. I will have to just wait and see happens for the rest of the day, sunny at the moment so that should help
Had trouble get the humidity reading but as soon as I turned OF the OneWire viewer it worked OK

Getting the reading through to the Solar senser setup (82.5mv sun going down, has been high as 240mv) but not getting % reading have I missed some thing ? Also getting the same reading to the Dallas 1-Wire setup

Have you setup Control Panel > Solar Sensor > Max solar time of day…? See my setup below. Obviously use your Lat & Long. Make sure to turn the Main Switch On.

And under the 1 Wire tab,are the 2 boxes ticked as shown in my screen shot above?

If you have set these up and it’s still not working, it might be helpful to post a few screen shots of your solar setup.

Seems to me 240mv is pretty high. What is your sensor mounted in? You may need to put it in a opaque/diffused enclosure like a milk cartoon, light bulb globe, wine glass. If you search the forum you’ll see what others have done. see mine below. This is probably not causing your % prob.

Bill

Every thing looks the same Could you post your labjack settings I don’t know how to post a screen shot
I have the sensor in a clear round plastic biscuit tin upside down

For screen shots I use screenprint32. You can get it free at http://www.provtech.co.uk/download/default.asp.

Not sure which labjack settings screen you are referring to. I do not use labjack. I use a Hobby Boards Solar Sensor.

Bill

Now getting % readings it seems to be all or nothing , did away with Lab jack settings, will post screen shots asap
The web site is now back on line after being down a day or two,the hours are working aswell so nearly there

Currant reading are higher than max radiation sreen shot below sun is almost down
other screen shots also

Don’t you have to set -ve Latitude for southern hemisphere as well?

Keep it up, I want to get mine going too… :wink:

But my ancient PC is very fragile at the moment,waiting for a partial transplant.

yes, you should be -43