modify OS rain bucket from 1.0mm to 0.1mm?

Hi peeps

I am a total noob at this lark and laymens terms are really needed (where possible)

My rain bucket, as i am sure your aware is set to 1.0mm, this aint much cop here in the UK
Sometimes we only have a slight rain, could only be 0.2mm maybe less, therefore the bucket
will not pick it up.

Obviously and upgraded bucket is not an option as it will not work with my console (unless OS
have 1?)

So, From what a read a little while back (another make of bucket) was modified, or was thinking
about doing it anyway, can i do anything with my bucket?

can i fill (with the lightest of material) parts of the trays to make them smaller? thus giving a
making it tip sooner and use WD to set the offset?

Is this possible or will it throw the lot out?

You could do it like that but you need to know exactly the volume you fill and how the weight of that filler is going to act on the tip. It maybe easier to calculate for making the catchment larger and leave the bucket size as it is.

I did it for my Le Crosse rain gauge HERE but I’ve still to actually make the thing. :wink:

Budgie’s right, modifying the tipper for a 10x increase in sensitivity isn’t feasible without a lot of advanced engineering. It’s a very small gauge so you are dealing with a very small amount of water for 0.1mm (do the math). The only reasonable option is to increase the funnel size. Beware of overdoing it though, you don’t want to exceed the maximum flow the gauge can handle or it won’t read correctly when it really does rain :wink:

Quite easy to do. Care with buying funnels, they quote the OD which is very different from the one you want - i.e. 180mm funnel possibly has an ID 4 or more mm less

see topic

Once it’s sorted you have to cut it to fit in your existing bucket and alter the offset for rain
control panel>offset see piccie
Mine worked OK for all the time I had the OS

Hi guys, thanks so much for the replies, didnt realise it would be so difficult, i just assumed it would be fairly straught forward, evidently not…

Kojack has kindly offered his funnel that he used on his OS thanks :slight_smile:

What will the tip be on this 1, will it be the 0.1mm or a little higher?

Oh and Kojack, your topic link is erm, the search url lol #-o

Tip will be as shown in the offset pic.
0.371mm

Use forum search for OS928 raingauge
Try this :oops:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/12009

Hi
You could try something like this: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/26044

:slight_smile: Krister

Wow, that is some interesting reading, Even if it did go off topic a wee bit, I like the way someone forecasted rain for you pmsl… Anyway, I think i have learnt a wee bit now and will look forward to to trying this out , thanks again Kojack :slight_smile:

Wow, thats some technical know how, I have replied seen as no one else has lol

Just a thought thats bugging me a little

Why does the bucket have mesh at the bottom, i.e. 2, where the trays empty?
I took mine apart yesterday to give it a good cleanup and there was a fair bit
of debris sat on these bits of mesh, Ok, i can understand why its on the top
thats for obvious reasons, but the bottom, i would have thought that would have
been open for any that got through to fall out when the trays empty?

I am sure there is a logical explanation, the only one i can think of is to stop
bugs taking up residency? Any other?

Could also help stop the wind blowing up tipping the bucket. :wink:

tipping the tippers or the actuall bucket, i assume ya mean the tippers,
then yes i see where your coming from there, it makes a little more sense anyway lol

Yes tippers or what ever you want to call them. :slight_smile:
But I suspect the main reason is for creepy crawlies.
You will be surprised what still gets in. 8O

Actually not surprised after yesterdays encounters with then :? makes me shudder
Can stand most creepy crawlies…cringing just thinking about it lol…Hopefully
if theres any in there today they will get washed about a bit later on, we gonna get
a little damp here lol…

On another note, i forgot to mention, I slapped a bit of car polish in the funnel yesterday
so hopefully and water to hit it now will bead up and roll down, Ive also hit the top mesh
with WD40 (i heard it was a good idea to make it easier for the water to get through)

I was gonna use RainX on the funnel, I will leave that now untill i receive my new funnel
from Kojack and do it to that one, Damn good stuff is RainX :slight_smile:

Just be careful that whatever you put on doesn’t eat platic for breakfast. I have a feeling we’ve had the RainX discussion before and I think the bottle says to avoid using it on plastic.

It is on glass, but I’ve tried on on acrylic (plexiglass/perspex) and it doesn’t seem to have the same effect.

Noted :frowning: shame, works wonders on anything other than ya windscreen :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure thar RainX does indeed “transform” the plasic used in the rain bucket

Interesting. I tried it on a motorcyle helmet visor (lexan I guess) and didn’t find it to be very effective - at least compared to its effect on glass. Nothing to lose by trying it :slight_smile:

Actually i used on my helmet and found it to be most effective, perhaps try going past 50mph its more effective then :lol:

I also used FogX ion the inside and that was also very effective, I tried one of those visor thingys ya
stick on the inside of ya visor but the speed made it flap lol

I miss my bike :frowning:

and here is my modified bucket, albeit a little messy on the silicon
believe it not, it was my best shot at it lol