VEO Wireless Observer Camera serial cable help

Wasn’t too sure where to put this post so sorry if its in the wrong place :?

I have the VEO Wireless Observer Camera. The only way to set it up is using the RS232 serial cable.
I dont have it #-o The cable has a 3.5mm male jack plug on 1 end and he RS232 on the other end.
I have bought 1 cable but it does not work so i am assuming its a specific cable for the camera i.e.
the wiring for the pins must be different to what i bought…

I am hoping that someone here might have a broken VEO and still has the cable, failing that, if it aint
broke, or you just dont want to part with the cable, then perhaps you can assist with making a pin
wiring diagram for me?

I know its a very long shot but i have tried everything else i can think of, including contacting VEO but
it looks like they have closed down, even eBay has turned up a blank, although thats where i bought
the serial cable from, but it was for a ICOM scanner, that was another longshot :frowning:

Hi Bashy,
I have once done some research on this camera. Yes, there is a little difference between normal rs232 cable. I can not remember clearly. But i can describe this difference:
This difference exists in the speed of eather net. If one cable is used to connect internal eather net device, it supports 100 mb/s and the pin connection is 1-3, 2-6.
If the eather net device supports 1000mb/s, the connection should be 1-1,2-2.
Maybe the description has some wrong, but i am sure speed is the problem.

My suggestion is : Go to your lab or the nearest computer service store, tell them you need two kinds of cable which supports 100mb/s and 1000mb/s, and try your test. I remembered i have used the low speed cable. And if you connect camera with your computer, you need check the working model of network card on your computer, make it compatiable with low speed. (Most current card will support high speed as default). If you connect your camera with a hub or router, it should be automatically adapted to low speed.

Hope this can be helpful.

I have two questions:

1. Why do not use wireless to connect to router?
  2. Where i can buy one? I found the same problem as you that the company has closed.

Cheers

Hello and thanks for your reply…

I have the NONE Ethernet version i can only setup the camera using the RS232 serial cable
Without this cable i cannot connect to the wireless network as i need to setup the settings
first, Please see the image, my camera is the one on the left in the red box…

The camera is 100% wireless except, you cannot use the wireless untill its setup to connect
to the network, thus you have to have the RS232 connected to do this :frowning:

Hi, because the previous one i used consists a eathernet port, so i do not have experience on serial port configuration. I guess the use of serial port is to set the camera in the mode of “obtain ip address automatically”. So is there any reset hole on the camera?
I found one link for normal serial port setting
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html#pins
hope this can be useful. If you have any progress, can you email me on [email protected]?

Cheers

By the way, where i can buy one?

Cheers for the info, without knowing what they are inside the camera it would be near on impossible to figure it out :frowning:
More so for me anyway lol…

As for buying, again near on impossible due to discontinued and company closed.
I didnt know this at the time :?

Bashy, a long shot is to get a 3,5mm stereo plug and RS232 female connector, wire it up, you only need pin 2,3 and 5 from the RS232 to 3,5mm plug (see photos).
Peter

change over 2 and 3 (on one end) if doesn’t work firs time

35 copy.jpg

rs232Pinout.jpg

Cheers for the reply m8, I have tried both was that you have said but neither worked im afraid :frowning:
Was worth a try though and for that its much appreciated :slight_smile:

its it not worth buying something like this, it may work. Lets face it, with a 3.5mm plug, there cant be too many variations in the setup

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Serial-Cable-for-Olympus-Digital-Camera-D-C-Series_W0QQitemZ300145935034QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43443QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers for the reply, but that 1 is no good as i need a 3.5mm plug.
Also i am assuming that is also only for transmitting, i need a cable that can
transmit and receive…

Thanks though, appreciate the help :smiley:

something like this then.

These are 2 ways cables.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HR-Deluxe-RECOMD-Icom-CI-V-CT-17-CAT-Interface-cable_W0QQitemZ260149659712QQihZ016QQcategoryZ40066QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lol, had a feeling you would find that one, that one is only a 2 point plug and yep, i already bought 1 and it didnt work, you wont believe how gutted i was :frowning:

this may be a real stupid question, probably done already but you have also checked to see that the serial port on the laptop has been enabled in the bios have you?

To save power, most laptop come with this defaulted to disabled. just a thought.

I will keep an eye out for a solution for you though.

Hi m8, I am actually using it on the PC that i am using WD with so the serial port is working fine, but we are certainly getting through some options, keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

If you tried the straight wiring RS232-3,5mm plug and did not work, then for sure there was a converter build inside the RS232 plug case that was converting the signal to TTL, so unless you know exactly what the signal was nothing will work. The cable that Stuart recommended says it clearly “Surface mounted level convertor built into the D connector” some ham radios need it this way others will work with plain Rx-Tx signals like some ‘motorola’ radios.
Peter

Hi Peter

Yeah i saw that converter thingy when i took it apart to do the soldering, i just bypassed it and went straight to the pins.
I wouldnt know where to solder on the converter pcb

Bashy in my first post I said “a long shot” just in case it was a plain Rx-Tx RS232 signal, you say you tried and nothing happens, I presume that the you did it right, got the pins correct and did the change over 2-3 3-2 pin. If that didn’t work then they must use a different level of coms, so unless you have the original cable practically nothing else will work.
Peter

Yeah m8, i knew it was a long shot anyway, looks like its a

Looks like i might have finally got this sorted at long last :slight_smile:
I just bought this item from eBay, ok so i will have 2 cameras but at least i got the Serial cable now :slight_smile:

Thanks for all you help guys, much appreciated, I will let you know how i get on when it arrives :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t happen to be Simon now would you? 8)

Q: Hi, Does this item come with the originale RS232 Serial cable? Regards Simon A: Hello, yes I will be supplying the RS232 cable for this web cam. Thanks.

-Bob

What was the big give away pmsl… to be honest i have a feeling i was prob bidding against
someone from here pmsl… perhaps not but ya never know :slight_smile:

You see the flask i got for me new solar sensor as well?