canon remote capture

I am interested to find a software to digital camera that will give instruction to get picture every few minuts.

From the information that read in the forum i understand that to canon have a software that is name is “remote capture”. Someone here work with this software? this software is Comfortable?

These are the PowerShot models (canon) that support Remote Capture (shooting
images using the computer):
A60, A70, A75, A80, A85, A95, A200, A300, A310, A400, A510, A520, A620
S50, S60, S70, S80, S110, S200, S300, S400, S410, S500, S1 IS, S2 IS, S3
IS, All G Series.

WD has a program that comes with it called wdwebcamcapture that has support for IP cameras

If the digital camera has a continuous feed of AV - mpg as a standby mode or “webcam mode” then you can feed that into the PC with a capture card (cheap) and use the Weather-Display software directly. I basically did that and the WD software recognised the new PCI card and captured the pics every minute. It can also run in streaming video mode as well as take snapshots and upload to websites at whatever frequency suits. YMMV - just interested in which Canon digis can run in webcam mode - someone else was interested too…

hello.

i want to work with digital camera (with High resolution).

this is differnt from ip camera and ip camera with High resolution is very Expensive.

What size pictures are you taking - I mean are you trying for 5Mpxl shots or 640 x 480? For uploading only to PC? You are correct though, there is software mentioned here I’ve seen that allows you to capture a pic directly to the pc from a digicam at selected times… it may take some time to find… I’ll look but may not find what I remember :roll:

if you feed it into a TV/video capture card then wdwebcamcapture will be able to work with that

This might be for high resolution (sorry …posted whilst other replies came in) picture downloads using digital cameras as opposed to the much reduced quality of video direct from the camera. There are certainly threads about this on the forum… http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/23384

I believe both VM95 and Cam2Com software has been recommended in the past, although I have not used them myself. :frowning:

VM95: Edit: http://www.video-monitoring.com/hobbyist.htm

Cam2Com: http://www.sabsik.com/Cam2Com/

Thanks Munrobaggins - exactly what I was remembering… Cam2Cam.

I believe the WD software has a limit on image size that it is designed to work with, perhaps 1024 x 768 or whatever which is only 0.8MPxl. So it is not what he was looking for since he was saying Hi-Res digital which will be 3MPxl to 10MPxl range I am guessing for another purpose…

Hi

Im using Remote capture from canon with my canon powershot G2. One shot per minute - filename jpgwebcam_01.jpg - uploaded to website every minute by Auto FTP manager and then deleted automaticaly on the local C: drive. WD downloads picture every minute for allday video setup.

It works well - see for your self: www.strandvejr.dk/picture.php and www.strandvejr.dk/200782dayvideo.wmv

strandvejr 8)

This is good question.

What the maximal size(file) that w.d can upload?

maybe good picture with 640X480 size will be good for me.

Hi Strandvejr,

Is the “Remote capture” software that you are using, Canon software that came with the Canon G2 camera ? I’m interested in getting high res pictures myself. :wink: :wink:

WD can upload any picture size or file of any sort with the General FTP functions.

However, the Webcamcapture.exe file can only generate 640 or one more size up? Windy? Mine is 640 x 480 but it starts out as poor quality tv pic initally. File size of about 140kB.

Do a search on Hi-res photos in here and I am sure you will find others who are doing it. But maybe not capturing the pic in WD but using some other software.

Hi Munrobaggins,

Yes - Its the Remote Capture software that came with the Canon G2 - Very easy to set up and it works. My pictures is uploaded in res 640x480

CU

Strandvejr :smiley:

Thanks Strandvejr,

I’ll obviously have to look into getting a Canon Camera with that software…it certainly gives excellent quality imagery looking at your website…I’m impressed… :smiley: :smiley:

HI Strandvejr

when you upload all day pic camera to your website (in 640X480 or in High resolution ), You don’t have problem with the size of the file?

you do the upload with w.d?

thank’s

tamir engel - I think he was going to upload a single photo pic every 5mins or so but not a HI-RES mpg allday video which would be about 800MB in size. You have to use a much smaller pic for allday video and best to use Flash format - also from WD.

o.k thanks.

Hi Tamir,

I do the upload with a FTF program called AutoFTPmanager from deskshare http://www.deskshare.com/afm.aspx - I do that because I can set my own upload schedule including overwriting of picture file on website and automaticdeleting picturefile on C:drive on computer. Thereby I can get RemoteCapture to name the picture with the same name over and over.

Im uploading in 640x480 - the smallest file size in the capture program - otherwise the pictures would be to heavy in size. But stille great pictures much better than webcams.

The download of picture to allday video is done by WD.

strandvejr - WD will capture a 3rd party pic as well and add the weather parameters to it and save it and overwrite each time and then the FTP programs - with several different options will upload any size file for you of the same name each time, the all day video or 10min vid are all uploaded using the webcamcapture program utilising the FTP function internally despite the name changes. The largest size webcamcapture (WD) generates is 768 x 576.

Cheers.

You can download Remote Capture free of charge from the Canon web site. :wink:

It is reasonably easy to use, the only beef I have with it is that you can only do timed shooting for 1999 shots (in the version I have anyway).

Cheers
Colin.