Nice Piccy For A 10 Year Old

As I am imobile I gave the boy a quick 2 min lesson on how to take pictures of lighting. he is still at it BTW, but he did get this. Relates to this topic http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/27129

Hopefully he is not standing next to the lightning rod to get more chances at getting pics.

great shot that!

1. You get more storms than we do :frowning:
  2. What’s the secret of catching lightning on a photo?

The secret is to have a camera where you can alter the shutter speed, generally an SLR or a DSLR like my Nikon D2X

You then point it in the direction of where you see the lighting, you must be able to see the lighting, if you are only seeing a bright flash and no trail then you aint gonna get jack.

Set you camera on a tripod or other surface to stop it moving, i had mine on the window seal propped up with 2 x pair of boxer shorts :slight_smile:

You then want a remote shutter trigger as you do not want to touch the camera to open the shutter

You set the camera apeture to a high value, I use F16, in dark conditions this will normally open the shutter for 15s

Within that 15s you pray for a stike.

Rinse and repeat :slight_smile:

The real secret is to have one of these: http://www.lightningtrigger.com/ :smiley:

yeah, i want one :slight_smile:

Thunderstorms… :wink: :wink:

In the last 30 odd years up here there have probably only been 10 TS’s that have had any worthwhile lighning at all (and then only the odd occasional flash)… :frowning: :frowning: :(…Taking photo’s of lighning here would be extremely rare to say the least…Now Singapore, Darwin etc that would be something quite different 8) 8)

That’s a good pic. Unusual in the way it goes off horizontally for a long way.

It hits the trees in the feild that my house back onto. That strike actually turned the TV off even with a surge protector :slight_smile:

Wish I had had the Boltek installed.

I see your getting better then!! :lol:

With the good rate of exchange just now so it’ll only cost you about

I can do that.

You then point it in the direction of where you see the lighting, you must be able to see the lighting, if you are only seeing a bright flash and no trail then you aint gonna get jack.

More of a problem. I tend to see more sheet lightning more than forks.

Set you camera on a tripod or other surface to stop it moving, i had mine on the window seal propped up with 2 x pair of boxer shorts :)

Clean boxer shorts I hope, but we really don’t need to know #-o I have a tripod though.

You then want a remote shutter trigger as you do not want to touch the camera to open the shutter

I still have to get a remote trigger. I have one for my old SLR, but not my new DSLR.

You set the camera apeture to a high value, I use F16, in dark conditions this will normally open the shutter for 15s

Within that 15s you pray for a stike.

That’s what was puzzling me. It looked like (stormy) daylight, but if it was dark/night then I can understand what I’m seeing better. I can do ‘Bulb’ which can be as long as I like.

However, no storm…no photos :frowning:

Just seen a photo which looked identical to this on BBC South East today weather with Kaddy the weather girl. Said it was taken by Jordan Shand from Rainham. Was it this one?

Stuart

Yeah, he was well chuffed :slight_smile:

That’s worth a proud chuckle!! :lol:

Great shot though - and having the narrow aperture obviously was going to help with the depth of field and give good focus no matter what the distance, well set on infinity normally anyway.

Yeah, I set the camera up for him, manual focus on infinity. Seemed to have worked.

Nice one, that’ll have to go on your website now Shaggy.
“As seen on BBC South East Today” :smiley: