Questions about Davis VP 2 Siting

A VP2 installed in the normal way, including compromises on siting, is probably as good as you need to go if it’s just for public information purposes. If you tell people it’s 82degF when it’s between 77 and 87 degF most people won’t argue (unless they have an accurate screened thermometer and are hoinding it right next to your temperature sensor). Same for wind speed…people think in terms of how windy it is at 5-6 feet off the ground, not whether it’s exactly 27.9mph 30ft up in the air. Even the tallest man in the world is still more than 20ft short of having his head in the winds at 30ft! You probably pass numerous big temperature signs as you drive around your area…I’d like to bet their sensors aren’t located in anything like the ideal positions, but people still look at them and believe that they’re telling the right temperature. Did you ever consider how accurate the temperature on those big signs was until you tried siting your own station? Probably not, but you probably have taken the temperatures as being reality.

I’m not suggesting you make numbers up…just that you may be striving for a level of perfection that your audience doesn’t need (or even know it needs). For example, I know that some people use the data from my station, despite it’s compromised siting and the people who have used it have never asked how well it’s sited!