Twister spotted on the Isle of Wight, England

Hi there,

Heard on Local radio today that a small tornado was spotted by various people in about a 10 mile area.

It was only a small one, but something we don’t see very often here.

Knowing this, when it started clouding over quite a bit just now, i thought i would keep an eye out see what happens and when some rain started falling very hard, then hail stones started falling, i knew something was going to be in the area.

I couldn’t go outside in the rain (got a patch test on my back - something i cant get wet for a few days that is testing me for reactions to different chemicals), so once it had stopped raining (seemed to take forever), I went outside and saw a funnel up in the sky, a wonderfall sight, never seen anything like it. Again, only small and only up in the sky but a wonderful sight to see if in action. I thought quickly,my misses camera is a decent one (digital SLR) but she never charges the bluddy thing up so i thought with a mobile phone in my pocket, i would try to get some photo’s. i managed 2 pictures, i will upload later here (now uploaded).

A fantastic piece of action, its amazing what weather does!

UPDATE 1.5hrs later

Another thing i have noticed 2 hours later is that other stations (all vantage pro station’s, same as mine) recorded a LOT less rain than mine did.

Mine 10.7mm
Sandown - (1 miles away) 2.8mm
Newport IWW - (8 miles away) 0.6mm
Newport again - 1.0mm
Brighstone - (12 miles away) 0.5mm

I am quite impressed with that. My station and the Sandown station are usually very close to each other in terms of readings, the weather must have been really localised!

Stuart

first picture taken as the funnel was breaking up

This one is another a little later (1 minute).

Wish i had got my camera out a little sooner and put it in video camera mode to be honest. Didn’t come out as well as i had hoped.

Taken with a Nokia N95 mobile phone for anyone who wanted to know.

Also, a screenshot is now included from WD in 3 hour graph mode.