USB extender for web cam

I hope to purchase a web cam in the not too distant future and am currently researching web cams. For a newbie to web cams the choices are a bit overwhelming. If I took the most inexpensive route with a webcam and usb I would need a USB extender. If the web cam was USB 2.0 and the extender was not would I have problems? The 2.0 extenders are very expensive although I did see some 2.0 extension cables that one could hook together to achieve the desired length.

You can use either the USB extender or a couple of active cables hooked together. I have a USB extender which I found out was USB 1.0 when it arrived. However, it does work with a USB 2.0 web camera. I have mine linked via 100’ of cat5 cable. But if two active USB cables will reach that will be completely acceptable and cheaper.

–Dave

I’ve got a Logitech Pro 5000 camera linked to two 5 metre active extension cables without any problems. If I remember correctly you can join up to 5 of these together before you start getting any signal degradation.

There are a few on here who use the Logitech Pro 4000 & 5000 webcams and they seem to give a better quality of picture compared to other webcams. Plus they have a low light facility on them as well. :wink:

Thanks Dave and Budgie for the information. That will help in my decision. I was looking at the IP cams but just couldn’t justify the cost at the moment.

I also go along with previous comments … I’m using a 1.1 USB extender which I recently purchased from the states and it works flawlessly between 65’ feet of cat5 and controlls my Hi-Res webcam which is USB 2.0

Brian

I am using the usb extender with 120 feet of cat 5 to the camera with no problems.