I need some help diagnosing a new problem

I have just lost all access to my system - and we’re getting some really wild weather!

This is on my production system…

During a storm (with a bit of lightening) WD lost feeds from all my devices
I use a DS9097U into an AAG V3 station and a Lacrosse rain gauge and a number of temp sensors. In the ‘setup’ of Dallas 1-wire it says “There is no Direction version 3 Device on the port”. I know this isn’t good!

I have reinstalled i-button software, WD, tried to run ‘stationless’ and switched com ports, and also eliminated all devices except one simple temp sensor that wasn’t hooked up when the problem occurred. Nothing is found.

I also tried to run the ibutton viewer, it seems to find the DS9097U but won’t see any devices.

Is it possible I got a lightening hit? Could it have ‘killed’ my DS9097?

Any help anyone could offer diagnosing would be appreciated.

Desperate - I’m missing my biggest rainfall since I installed!

Jeff,

If your a memeber on the 1 wire list ( go to the archive messages ) and search for DS9097U problems .
Sounds like your’ve got a problem with the adapter ( I think the ground is open circuited ) . Search for Dan Awtey reply to the problem on the list .

rocketman

I hate to ask the obovious but did you reboot the PC and see what happens? My one wire bus went dead the other night and a reboot fixed it. I also bought 2 extra DS9097U’s for this exact reason. Good luck.

Rocketman, I can’t find the post you are referring to. I’ve searched for quite a while on http://lists.dalsemi.com/search/search.html. Is this the right place? If possible, can you point me to it?

Rupp, I don’t mind the simple questions - oh if the fix was simple! I have rebooted a bunch of times…with the same result. I have a friend with another DS9097 and will try tomorrow. I have another ‘test’ one at home, but my system at home is having a similar problem…so maybe both are now bad. They’re not even a year old~!

I have gone through 3 in the last year. It seems that every time we get a close lightning strike mine goes bad. Its probably the ground wire to the lightning detector.

oh, sounds like an adaptor been damagaed
hey, i think i now what is wrong with settings individual and different scales in the extra sensor real time graph
i will fix soon

I don’t have a lightening detector, but I guess my weather station is acting like one!

I am surrounded by 60 foot tall pine trees, with the weather system up at about 45 feet, so I was hoping it was well protected - maybe not.

It’s frustrating to see your weather system spinning like crazy and the driving rain coming down - and not being able to capture it all!

I’ll try my buddy’s DS9097 this afternoon and see if it works then.

Thanks

and it worked fine!..so I guess mine is toast.

That’s a drag since I have to order from the US (I’m in Canada) and that means waiting a couple of weeks to get her going again.

Is there any way to open these up and fix 'em?

Hi Jeff ,

found this on my inbox

Sounds like you had an ESD event that opened the internal bond wires on the GND pin of the DS2480. The DS2480 is wired as a pass through protection device with pins 1 and 2 connected on the DS9097U side and pins 6 and 5 wired to the RJ11 connector. We have seen a number of DS9097Us that experienced an event that burnt open the GND connection on the RJ11 side. You can verify that this is the case by jumpering across pin 1 to pin 6 and pin 2 to pin 5. If this confirms that the internal bond wire is open, you can either replace the DS9503, substitute a zener diode or use it with the jumpers. The jumpers connect the DS9503 in parallel with the 1-Wire bus.

Regards,

Dan Awtrey

hope this is of help
rocketman

Thanks - I just need to digest it a bit.

Just to confirm, to test, I should connect pins 1 & 6 together, and 2 & 5.

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/images/Db9_2b.gif

I assume that this is looking from the DS9097 ‘holes’??

I also had a VERY close lightning strike “take out” a 9097U. I like Rupp ordered an extra one. When I got it back up and running, I was just glad that it was only the 9097U and not the sensors. At least I have a spare now and can troubleshoot the 1-wire network easier, if it happens again.

Good luck

MikeyM

Jeff ,

I think Dan is refering to

Pin1 from ( 9 pin D ) to pin 6 ( RJ11) end
Pin2 from ( 9 pin D ) to pin 5 ( RJ11 ) end

follow the internal circuit tracks and make sure .

maybe you should have ordered a ibuttonlink adapter
http://www.ibuttonlink.com 8)

I’ve got one works great ( mind you so does the DS9097U adapter )

I would have done it incorrectly, so I’m glad that I confirmed it.

I brought another DS9097 from my test machine and it is working nicely, so I am back in business. I will pull my old one apart to try the fix before ordering a couple of new ones.

Thanks for the help…I’ll post my results from the pull-apart.

…Jeff

It sounds like you’ve solved the problem but…

I got the same error message “Can’t find ver 3…” when I added one each AAG barometer and humidity sensors into my 1-Wire network consisting of an AAG ver 3 wx station, Dallas Rain Gauge, and one DS18S20 temp sensor. I got rid of my error message by adding the RC filter (100 ohm resistor in the data line and a 47pf capacitor across the data and gnd lines) mentioned in one of DalSemi’s app notes.

I tested the RC filter by removing it from the 1-Wire network and back came that same error message.

FWIW (for what it’s worth…)

Geewizard, thanks for the suggestion. I am using parasitic power…and I previously did done some reading. I seem to remember that it said that the 100 ohm resistor doesn’t work with the DS9097U. Am I wrong here? Addiing this would be fairly simple and worth it if effective.

Also, I haven’t heard of the 47 pf capacitor aspect before. Can you point me to this article? I would like to read more.

thanks

Here’s an article that helped me a lot:

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/arpdf/AppNotes/app148.pdf

Look at Recommendations, page 8, which refer to the RC filter in Appendix D.
And, I was wrong, it’s a 4700 pf capacitor across DATA and GND. It’s specifically for the DS2480B-based masters of which the DS9097U is one.

Hope it helps! :smiley:

it was very informative, however, much is over my head technically. I will go thru again, but I thought I had read that the resistor use wasn’t appropriate for the DS9097U…the page you pointed me to, certainly says it is appropriate - and in fact is stronger in saying that it is necessary in longer networks (which mine is). Maybe what I am remembering had something to do with parasitic power. I’ll check again.

It certainly sounds like it’s a good idea to put both in my setup. I have a basic understanding of electronics, but this stuff is out of my realm of comfort. Can you help me on the specifics? A couple of questions:

1. I have been following a thread about placing the resistor at each leg of the network. This document seems to indicate that it is required only once.

2. what is the specific resistor required? (100 ohm, but are there any other requirements?)

3. what about the capacitor? Any details other than 4700 pf?

4. how would they be connected in a parasitic setup?

Thanks

All I can say is that I had similar trouble to yours, did some research on the problem, and found the application note on 1-wire networks that are “long”.

Answers:

1. I haven’t seen the thread on adding resistors on each leg. I followed the app note and added one resistor in the data line and the capacitor across the data and ground lines.

2, 3) I used a 100 ohm, 1/4 watt, 5 % tolerance resistor. Radio Shack has them. You can also use a 1/2 watt resistor. The capacitor is a ceramic disc capacitor, .0047 ufd (microfarad) or 4700 pfd (picofarad), 500 wvdc (working volts DC). Radio Shack part number 272-130 would work ok.

1. My system is a parasitic power system, no external power other than that supplied by the serial port through the 9097U. So, just follow the app note: cut the data line and solder in the resistor, and solder the capacitor across the data and ground lines.

100 ohm

data line ------////-------------------------
|
4700pf capacitor
|
ground --------------------------------------

Hope this helps! :smiley:

My little “keyboard” schematic didn’t come out as I hoped. Anyhow, I think you get the idea.

Thanks. - this detail should allow me to walk into the store and sound like I know what I’m talking about!

Our RadioShack is out of this stuff now…I think they are getting out of this business in Canada - and trying to focus on consumer electronics. I have another place that carries electronics though, so will check with them.

One final question (I think). Using parasitic power, I join the Vdd and ground terminals on temp sensors…so to install the capacitor, can it just cross the GND/Vdd and DATA?

Many thanks!