5-day forecast FTP setup?

I’m having some trouble setting up the 5day forecast FTP download. I get the following error messages in my FTP log:

Logging onto FTP server....weather.noaa.gov Connecting to FTP server. Failed to connect: [10060] Connection timed out Ftp down error 10060: [10060] Connection timed out changing directory to data/forecasts/state/co/ Next file ftp down Local directory for Noaa download is c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Weather Retrieving the NOAA file coz039.txt now Saving the NOAA file to c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Weather\coz039.txt now Connecting to FTP server. Failed to connect: [10060] Connection timed out Ftp down error 10060: Finished ftp download, loggin off from server Doing abort procedure/program close...

The setup screen is attached.

Help?

Try changing “weather.noaa.gov” to “tgftp.nws.noaa.gov

-Bob

Bob,
Thanks, that resolved the FTP errors. Now it seems to be downloading the forecast file just fine. But it won’t show up from the WD-Live page. http://www.leyner.org/WDL.htm

-David

Do you have this tag in your WDL Config?

-Bob

No, I’m pretty sure I copied just as Bob posted it in the other thread, which was this:

Maybe it was a typo and it should be 100 instead of 10?

What that means is:

Live Forecast

If you are using a Davis Vantage Pro then you can display the forecast text provided
via Weather Display. To do so set this tag to a number between 1 and 99
corresponding to the number of seconds between the alternating of the current
conditions and the forecast text.

In this example the current conditions and forecast text will alternate at 10 second
intervals. Set to 0 to only show current conditions, set to 100 to only show forecast.
To make the icon follow the current conditions of forecast text set this tag to 1

In your Forecast download setup screen do you have “Use the forecast for the VP Forecast system” ticked?

-Bob

I keep on forgetting the little things like that Bob that would probably help 2-Wheeler out. :wink:

Chuck

It takes a number of us sometimes to get someone on the right path :slight_smile:

-Bob

Thanks again Bob & Chuck for your help and patience.
It is not ticked. The settings are exactly as shown in the photo above in the OP, except that now i have changed “weather.noaa.gov” to “tgftp.nws.noaa.gov
-David

David,

It would have to be ticked for WDL to get the forecast as far as I know.

-Bob

Mine is ticked and it works for me.

Chuck

Okay, I’ve got it ticked now, but I’m still missing something. I can’t see that it is loading anything to the website in response to this. Where do you setup the FTP settings to move this file to the website? Does it need to go into the same directory as the clientraw files and the wdlconfig.xml files?

Also it looks like I may not be actually getting the zone forecast text, but seem to be getting a statewide forecast. See the raw text file here:
http://www.brobergfamily.com/Weather/coz039.txt

David,

Check this and see if this is the right one. ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/zone/co/coz039.txt

Chuck

Question for all.

Do have to have a Davis VP system for this to work?

I’m sure its obvious you do, but I’m asking for curiosities sake.

Ed

If I had to guess I would say no. If the forecast is included with the client files I think WDL would use it no matter what station you use. But I’m just guessing…

Thanks for your continued help Chuck.

I gave it a try, and the file seems more like a local forecast, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m still just getting “—” on the WDL page.

Looks ok here…

I guess I didn’t wait long enough! Now I need to work on the position and space a bit more… Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks again Chuck, Bob, Dan and everyone else who helped me set this up.