USA Midwest Storm Chase 2007 !!!

Hi All
This saturday, 12th May, I will be heading over to the MidWest again this year storm chasing, again, for 2 weeks.
There are 7 of us this time,all from NZ, including 2 members from this forum, Ricky and Foggy :slight_smile:
The tornado season has been very active this year, compared to last year,and unfortunately a town in Kansas got wiped off the map and 12 people were killed there, by the biggest and strongest tornado since 1999 :frowning:
At the moment things have settled down though, typcial…just when I am about to leave. But there does look to be a trough is going to affect the northern plains, so that is where we will be targeting in the first few days (Montana, etc), after landing in Denver :).
Anyway, I will post here info and photos, and Ricky and Foggy can join in as well :slight_smile: (there first time over chasing in the USA :wink:)

Also,just to note, i will still be able to check my emails and the forum, but only a few times of day, and I wont have all that much time though spare most likely :wink: )

Have a safe and fun trip Brian. :smiley:

Also, now, last year I brought a new laptop, for the trip. Well just less than a 1 year old the battery no longer holds the charge…and then i think, ok, less 1 year old, warrenty will over it…nope, warrenty for battery is only for 6 months,…so nearly 3 weeks ago I order a new battery from the local supplier…well, its still on back order, typical…
so, maybe i could pick one up in the USA while I am over there?..any ideas on that guys? (laptop is a NEC VERSA M540). thanks :wink:

MMmm, looks like after a quick search that this model is specific to NZ and AUS. I don’t find any batteries listed on USA web sites.

Did find a review that complained about the poor battery life of that model.

we are going to jack up power in the chase cars via 12 volt to invertors etc, but its a pain, as soon as power is removed from the laptop it powers off straight away…even a bump to the power plug is enough!.I guess i might just have to live with it, and hope to expect the battery available when I get back. The battery was supposed to have been bleeding edge technology to provide long useage on battery…I guess it was too bleeding edge!

Have fun and keep safe.

If you are in Montana give me a holler. I am in the southeast part of the state in the city of Glendive, Dawson County.

Chuck

Loos like we will be in your area alright on the first day (sunday) (will have to drive up from Denver though!), and probably still in that northern plains area on monday, but its too early too know that far in advance of where too be yet, so yes, maybe we could meet up somewhere

Check this link windy, and see if it’s comparable. If so, Radio Shacks are everywhere in the States. It’s a web order only item, but you could order it online before hand, and have it shipped to any Radio Shack in a town you’ll be traveling through. (use the store location finder) http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2437577

Hummm, no, my one looks different (its long and slender)(the battery I am talking about), and mine is 11.1v, but 4000mha too
close, but no cigar!,LOL

That sounds good Brian. I am off Sunday and Monday. Glendive is a small town about 4700 people.

Chuck

A picture of the battery

battery.jpg

battery2.jpg

That is small??? 8O then my town is just a dot on the map hehe.

have fun Windy!

Don’t drive through flooded roads. A lot of washouts… you don’t know what is under that water.

you also can use the local noaa to see what is going on as well http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dmx/

Safe travels, best of everything and if people comment about your accent, claim you are from Iowa or Minnesota. No politics and you will be fine. he he he he.

give a call if you travel through Des Moines… you have my numbers?

we are not listed in the phone book because we are teachers and don’t want the little beggars coming by at midnight to see if I am awake.

How about this? (I don’t know this company)

Windy,
next time you pull the battery, post the numbers from the battery. It may be easier to find that way; I found one for an orphan system I had (a Rix (UK?) variant).

Also… Are you going to be in the Phoenix area? No tornados, but one helluva dust storm yesterday, but there are several members around the greater regional area.

Ken

Windy,
just googling around and looking at various battery vendors… saw your comments about 11.1, length etc… found this site - check it out, the battery is common to a number of brands, and maybe the solution - expensive - for you

http://www.batterypowerplus.com/store.php?f=view&item=2043&brand=NEC&model=Versa+M540
http://www.batterypowerplus.com/store.php?f=view&item=2043&brand=NEC&model=Versa+M540

Ken

Ha, that’s the same battery pictured on on the site I posted above, but it’s $60 more. Seems to be hard to find probably because NEC doesn’t sell PC’s in the US anymore http://www.necus.com/support/800Numbers/

Yes!
thats the one, thanks Niko and AZ Kiwi!
Now, I guess, the best thing: cancel the order from here, and place a order in the USA and pick it up some how!!!
suggestions?

Don’t forget that we don’t want any news headlines like “Kiwi developer sucked into twister” 8O