cloudy cloudy

Poll

Would you be interested in this USB to 1-Wire adaptor?

Yes
4 (44.4%)
no
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 18, 2003, 05:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Production of a USB to 1-wire adaptor. Free up a Com Port.  (Read 3964 times)

StokesValleyWeather

Production of a USB to 1-wire adaptor. Free up a Com Port.
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:04:58 AM »
Hi, for those of you out there not having enough Com ports I have a possable solution.

I am in the process of producing a USB to 1-Wire adaptor.  I already have a prototype working very nicely with WD, my thanks to Brian for his support and making the changes to WD.

My aim is to source the parts and manufacture the boards and to keep the cost down as much as possible. I am aiming at producing a “build it yourself kit” for about $50 - $65 New Zealand (less if possable). (With current exchange rates it makes it about 17-23 British Pounds or $29-38 USD’s) I am also intending to incorporate standard resister sizes etc so you can source the parts your self if you wish.  Design is based on the 1-wire design so will not be hard to build if you have built one of Jim Jennings boards before.

What I would like is an indication of who would be interested and if you would be prepared to purchase one as I am looking at some up front costs to kick this off. Please indicate your interest by sending me an email. Remembering the more in the initial production run the lower the cost.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 11:58:54 AM »
Assuming you get enough interest to go ahead, when would you expect the adaptors to be available?
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

StokesValleyWeather

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 03:09:20 AM »
I am aiming to have them ready within the next 2-4 week. Possibly sooner if I am able to go an see the person I need to that will produce the board this comming week.

Online Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
    • Weather Display
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 09:16:45 AM »
I think for one its a very good idea ! :)

StokesValleyWeather

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 08:03:01 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly Brian thanks for the support but it looks like I’ve been piped at the post, by Dallas with the release of their DS9490R, USB to 1-Wire adaptor (and USB to Ibutton).  :(

Available from Dallas at about $28 USD’s, the only thing is they have a flat rate shipping cost of $50 USD’s for 1 item or 100 items.

The other source is Arrow Electronics http://www.arrow.com They have offices in the UK as well at http://www.arrowuk.com.  

Arrow US, offer the Item for $26.76, call 1-877-237-8621 for orders.

Was a great I dear at the time.  Well I have a couple of other projects in mind so will let you know when I have a design ready.  :idea: