Lightning/2000 OR Nexstorm

What one is the better software to run? I would like to have some thing to produce maps that are uploaded to my website. I have noticed that the sites I have visited show Nexstorm only on long range. To me some thing on a 60 to 70 mile range would be better. I really do not think that a storm 250 miles away is any thing to be concerned about. But then again I know very little about the subject. So I am asking people who run the sites with lightning detection what one and why.

Mark

They each have their proponents. I like NexStorm better for the cleaner display, and for the ability to join StrikeStar (free) and have my data triangulated with other members for more accurate strike location. You can then see it on WASP2 (another Astrogenic program) and upload that regional map to your site. WASP2 is cool because you can add a NEXRAD overlay to it.
http://www.sloweather.com/lightning/wasp2.htm

L2K is better if you are a real strike data junkie, but lacks the StrikeStar/WASP2 abilities.

And NexStorm can zoom way in to a 16 mile radius. Around here (Central California Coast) we get so little lightning that I run mine zoomed out to see storms in the Sierra and AZ. When we do have activity, I will zoom it in to get the local detal.

and for the ability to join StrikeStar (free) and have my data triangulated with other members for more accurate strike location

I tend to like NexStorm better also, and that is what I will probably be getting when my tax refund comes in.
EDIT
Formerly, StrikeStar would not take you if you were too close to an existing station, and you apparently have to be a StrikeStar member tio get WASP2. Now, however their site says anyone with a Boltek and NexStorm who is online 24/7 may join.

Steve

I have looked at the maps and I am in the middle of several stations. I am 40 miles north of the junction of IA, IL, and MO middle of nowhere :slight_smile:

Lightning 2000 seems to be more active in the software and release upgrades on a more timely manner.

Mark

burgus:

Looking at the StrikeStarUs site, they now say anyone with a Boltek and NexStorm may join, although they give preference to people who are online 24/7. Sorry for confusing the situation. Perhaps the former restriction of not accepting stations that are too close together was while they were building up their system.

Steve

I think I am at least 250 miles from any station at the moment.

Mark

Map.jpg

I just received a very nice reply from Lightning 2000. My purpose was two fold in asking for more information. One, I needed more information. And two, If the salesman takes a long time to reply, how long would it take tech support???

Still waiting on Nexstorm :frowning:

Mark

I’ve been thinking about a Boltek but I too would like to have a map that would have a smaller radius. Any one know if that’s possible? Unlike Mark, I’ve been able to find at least 12 Boltec stations that cover my area, the closest being about 60 miles. So I’d like to have a more local map.

–Dave

That is one of my requests also. I really do not want to know what is going on in Kansas City. But 60 miles away is only an hour away some times. 60 to 70 miles is what I’m looking for. Auto ranging is icing on the cake. Does any of the software packages auto range when the storms are close???

Mark

give my lightning page a look. may help answer some of your questions. www.misterweatherman.com

This is a L2K site correct?

The information at the top of the page is almost unreadable. Is it me??

http://www.misterweatherman.com/lightning.htm

Can you label the rings so some one has an idea of the ranges?

Mark

The Boltek with the Nexstorm software will start from 25 km radius up to 1200 km on your PC or 300km and 600km with Stormvue for web. (see screen shot). It can use .bmp files for maps easy to make.
Peter

1.jpg

Not sure what’s on you web site but it locks my browser as tight as a drum. I have to kill it from task manager. Using FF 2.0.0.3.

–Dave

Take a look here http://users.forthnet.gr/syr/pnet/lightning/ it will be to 100km radius for the next 20 minutes. This is a screen shot uploaded every 10 minutes.
Peter

Nice, I did not know that Nexstorm would do that.

Thanks
Mark

Peter, if you were to select a lower value like 200km-125miles would it label the 5 ‘rings’ accordingly?

–Dave

Edit: Looks like it does from viewing your page. What is the source of you 100km map?

Dave yes it does label the rings accordingly, as far as the map, I’m trying to find the site that I’ve downloaded a very high resolution (150Mb) map which covers 1500 km diameter from my place and use part of that for the Boltek.
Peter

Dave are you running Vista by any chance?

I have found that some sites lock my FF up on my Vista machine where there is no problem on my Win 2K and XP boxes. In fact one of my own pages I can’t access from the Vista machine:
http://www.jaxweather.net/Astro.php

-Bob

Nope, XP Pro. Tried several times with the same result.

–Dave

Dave did you try my page posted above? Were you able to access or did it lock too?

-Bob