Lightning detector location (UK Voltage!!!)

Hello,

At present I have my lightning detector mounted quite close to the house, in fact on part of our flat roof. What seems to be happening is that various mains (240v) spikes are giving lightning counts, not good, so far today 474!!! So one thinks I should move it else where, but how far away from the house? Does anyone have any experience with this issue in the UK? I believe it’s not an issue with 110v mains.

John

Hi John, another forum member had this problem not long ago. I think he found that moving it away from the house solved the problem. You may find you have to try a few different spots to test until you get good results.

I am sure someone will be along soon with more help and info…

Sorry to say I gave up on mine, I just could not get it to work. I believe some people have got them to work on 240VAC by using a metre long earth spike driven into the ground especially for the detector so its earth is completely separate from the house earth.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I have a sperate earth spike just for the lighning sensor :frowning:

John

Hi

John

go to the 1 wire/ nexstorm /lightning count
setup and set the discriminator to 4 - 25 which eliminated noise issue

mick :smiley:

UK
www.weather-above.com

thats just for the graphing though, the counts are still added

So the best cure, is to get the sensor working correctly then…

I have just been reading a few articles on the web about the sensor, and it seems it have a tendancy to pickup quite a few other emissions as well as mains spikes.

I did notice this morning when I moved a couple of cables, removed/put back the USB 1-wire bus master, the ligntning sensor went a tad nuts. I’m wondering if I should fit a good earth to the one wire buss (gnd) its self. I have a HobbyBoards power injector, that might be a good place to afix it.

John

Hello,

Well I have just had a interesting weekend… The lightning sensor’s issue was down to a problem on the 1-wire bus. Another sensor, solar, had a duff 2438, this was causing the bus to be dragged all over the place. I used an oscilloscope to see what was going on, and the wave form was all over the place, quite horrible. So since replacing the solar sensor the ghost hits has dropped right down, yesterday I only got a couple, and that seemed to come from the fact I was playing with the 1-wire bus… I still believe that the sensor could do with moving further from the house, but I won’t rush to sort it for now.

John

Which solar sensor are you using? Hobby-Boards made two.
The smaller one, without the RJ-45 jacks, (which they do not appear to sell anymore)
did not have a voltage regulator, and they advised that it would overload the 1-wire
network when light levels were extremely high.

Steve

Hello,

The one with the RJ45s and regulator, and I can confirm it was the chip that was duff, not the sensor. I have tested the new sensor/board and found to to produce the expected results. Today I only got 20 hits on the lightning sensor, where I usually get a few hundred, ouch, so it seems to be behaving it’s self… well nearly, more like a teenager.

John