La Crosse WS2300

I will be receiving mine tomorrow and this will be my first weather station so very excited - does anyone with experience of this model have any suggestions/ ideas which may help? :smiley: :smiley:

I got mine this weekend, and so far I love itā€¦!

Zach

Just curious, do both of you live in places where the humidity is never below 20%?

Nope.

Z

I just got mine yesterday despite one quarter of the United States having no power, and me living in the affected area. Surprisingly, I had power throughout the entire ordeal, and only lost it for about one second. Glad to see UPS was able to deliver despite the troubles.

Me being an Ultimeter owner (Hence the name), I guess you can say Iā€™m coming from a higher end line of stations. The quality and support of Peet Brothers through the years has been nothing but great, but when I wanted to upgrade, I looked at the prices and thought that spending nearly 400 dollars on just a display alone was too much money. Afterall, I was only going to gain on feature by getting a new keypad.

After looking for cheaper alternatives, I found the LaCrossse WS 2310 for only 167 (US) dollars AFTER shipping and handling. I ordered it and less than a week itā€™s here in my hands. I must say, the unit is very sleek, and the new design of the anemometer seems promising during the winter months to help prevent some lock ups when icing occurs.

Mounting the anemometer and temperature sensors were very easy, I was able to mount both of them in about ten minutes with only two tools. However, the rain gauge still has me puzzled. I looked at the bottom of the thing and there doesnā€™t appear to be any holes that are intended for mounting the unit, so Iā€™m operating my 2310 without the rain gauge until I can figure out how to mount it somewhere. The keyboard on this unit is a very attractive piece, with the backlight always being on if you have it being powered off of the DC cord. The only thing that I have noticed so far is that you really have to ā€œlay downā€ on the buttons to get them to respond, Iā€™m used to the Ultimeterā€™s instant response when touching a button.

Moving along to resolution and packet sending to a computer, the resolution isnā€™t as high as I would like it to be - about once every 8 seconds when running it in wired mode, and even longer - up to 128 seconds - when running in wireless mode. Itā€™s pretty much the same when using WD I believe, data is only sent when it is updated on the console.

The measurments that it outputs seem to be right on the money so far - temperature is within .5 of my primary unit, and pressure is within .1 inch of what the Nation Weather Service outputs.

For 167 dollars for an entire unit, I really cannot complain. I took a gamble with LaCrosse since I knew almost nothing about them and how their equipment holds up, but so far it looks as though I am winning, or have won.

My 2310 just arrived today.
So far it looks pretty good. I too am puzzled as to how I am going to mount the rain gauge. I have a feeling I am going to use a couple of small ā€œLā€ brackets to mount it to a block of wood, which in turn will be mounted to the peak of the roof.
All data is within a couple of points of my other station, a WM-918, except the wind direction, which is off about 45 degrees. I have a feeling I need to re-calibrate the WM-918 wind vane.
I agree about the buttons. The WM-918 is a very light touch, and the 2310 needs a rather strong push.

The la Crosse site says to take the cover off the rain gauge, pull the pin out of the teeter totter, and use the 4 holes in the bottom for screws. I think Iā€™ll stick to my ā€œLā€ bracket idea.

On another note, after 2 days, the wind speed in the display would constantly change from 14.0 to 0 to 14.0 to 0, etc. from NNW. Only problem was at the time there was no wind at all. I contacted La Crosse, and they suggested my animometer was bad. They gave me a RA # and I will be sending it back. I had read a possible fix was to make sure it was not mounted on metal, so I used a piece of 1" PVC pipe with a large dowel inside for strength. It had no effect. Still would show 14.0 mph from NNW in zero wind.

That pin looks and feels pretty hard to pull out. I used some picture frame wire to secure mine to a piece of wood, and then mounted that piece of wood to a fence post.

To be honest, I donā€™t like having the sensors mounted all over the place, Iā€™d rather have them all in one place, where I can ā€œmake the wires look prettyā€ and only run one back to the main unit since using the wireless option is not a very good option - it only updates once every two minutes or so.

Do any of you LaCrosse owners know if the ā€œrain shieldā€ on the temperature sensor is also a good radiation shield against the sun? I want to be able to mount all of that on a mast on the roof, making all the sensors in one place and out of harms way on the ground and into the way of potential lightning strikes. :roll:

Iā€™ve got a WS-2310, and I mounted my temp sensor out in the open
using nothing but the supplied rain cover as a radiation shield. As
I feared, this was absolutely no good, e.g., about 20 degrees too
hot when the sun was shining on it in the afternoons. The multi-plate
Gill-type radiation shields that you can buy, and the ones that many
people have made themselves, donā€™t seem that practical to me for
the WS-2310 because itā€™s too big a unit ā€“ the Gill shields are all
designed for temp probes with dimensions of about an inch or less,
and with the WS-2310 transmitter included, itā€™s about the size of
a cigarette pack. I finally settled on a Stevenson Shield enclosure
from a veddy English company called The Wooden Toy Emporium
(http://www.thewoodentoyemporium.co.uk). I got the mini version,
which cost about $96 US with shipping, and it came in under two
weeks. However, Iā€™m still not totally satisfied. I think my temps
can be about 5 degrees F too hot during the afternoons. Iā€™m not
totally sure yet that this is the effect of solar radiation or if itā€™s just
the true temperature given my siting characteristics. My recommendation
would be to either try to mount it in the shade, or use the Stevenson
Shield that I got , or build your own radiation shield.

Mike