1-wire rain gauge

I got my rain gauge in the post today (thanks Eric) but when I connected it to my 1-wire network it would not work correctly just got a reading of -25.4mm and it would not show any increase if I poured water through the bucket. I then connected the gauge directly with no other sensor in the network and it worked fine showed zero on the gauge and pouring water through the bucket it counted no problem.I then added sensors, the weather device, with the rain gauge plugged into the spare port with a bridge across pins 1&4 on the rj11 plug worked fine. Then added the HB temp/humidity worked fine, then the AAG barometer and this killed the rain gauge. So tried the rain gauge and barometer that worked fine,Then tried all combinations they all worked fine but when I had all the sensors online then the rain gauge would go back to reading -24.4mm.

So my question is have I got too many sensors running in a daisy chain??, weather device HB humidity/temp AAG Barometer and the rain gauge in total this works out to 8 sensors in total. Do I need a hub?? or are there any other suggestions??.

Eric this is not a moan about your gauge it works fine, it is just how to get it to work on my network.

Thanks
Steve

Ok I have now fixed this problem plenty of swearing and coffee over the last 24hrs…

I have changed my layout from daisy chain topology to star topology now all the sensors work fine including the rain gauge.

Steve

As a matter of interest, did you already have a hub or have you had to invest in one of these?

NO hub just an electrical block total cost 0.50p well zero had one in my tool box. This also stopped the errors from my wind direction sensor…bonus.

On one side of the block is the cable to the pc on the other side are all the other cables from each sensor. This works because I have no sensors that require extra voltage other than the 5v that is supplied by the pc. If you have sensors that require extra voltage then you would need a hub.

Will do a proper job with the soldering iron if it continues to work ok.

Steve

good stumpey…hubs are over rated in my opinion…they just slow the whole process down…and a well built and designed 1 wire setup you dont need a hub
however the 1 wire power injector does help alot if you have alot of humidity sensors or the 1 wire barometer ,etc
anyway, i am probably wrong, again

Thanks…well its kept going for the last 6 hours so guess its going to work…keep it simple :smiley:

The other advantage of this setup is if a sensor goes down then the others will keep going as they are all directly connected to the pc!!

I did not realise how big the rain gauge was “oh 8 inches” I thought thats not bad tuff to hide it in the garden so its up on the garage roof in all its glory…lol.

Steve

lol - piccy piccy piccy - go on - show us your setup.

I found similar problems with my rain guage when using a hub on a different channel to the main sensors, so I did what you did and and stuck it on a screw terminal strip making a leg of a star. I’m assuming I could also add the power in to this too and avoid the hub altogether (replacing it with a serial convertor)

You are correct you could also add extra voltage this way and bypass the hub. I am not using a hub in my network.

I have also bought a “The Link” to replace the standard DS9097U-S09 controller. This is a great bit of kit I no longer get any errors from any sensor I have tried this on a daisy chain and star network. The problems I was having with getting the rain gauge to work in a daisy chain where not a problem with the new controller. I still use the star network and have zero errors even though I now pole each sensor every second (just because I can…lol)instead of every 5 seconds as before because of errors.

See here for link http://www.myrialog.com/cgi-bin/ic/homechip/hc00012.html

Steve

EDIT 07/03: with poling the sensors every second I am getting some interesting graphs mmmm bumpy

Might turn it down a bit back to 5 seconds as the barometer just dropped for a second maybe I was a bit optimistic but has been ok until tonight. But the error rate (1) in 72 hrs is still a million times better than before.

EDIT 12/03: Been running “The Link” now since the 7th with 5 second updates not one single error on any sensor…impressed indeed this unit is far superior to the standard unit

I have also bought a "The Link" to replace the standard DS9097U-S09 controller. This is a great bit of kit I no longer get any errors from any sensor I have tried this on a daisy chain and star network.

Couldn’t agree more The Link is The Bomb! :smiley:

yes, others have had good success with the link too :slight_smile:
a HUB just slows everything down…as each time a sensor needs to be read, that line needs to be opened, then all the sensors on that line read, then it needs to be closed,…then the next one openeded, etc…

Stumpey,

Where did u get yr rain guage from?

Rain Gauge from Eric at www.hobby-boards.com nice rain gauge collects even the slightest drizzle.

Steve