Crazy barometer fall

I haven’t isolated the problem yet, but something is causing my barometer to plumet from 29.xx to 21.xx when having the wind alarm set…at least that’s when it started happening. It seems to be related to having VPLive open with the alarm function operating.

Does the barometer display on the console show the crazy swings too, or is it just the display in VPLive? If the console shows it too, that makes a big difference, as I’m pretty sure VPLive doesn’t contain code that could set the barometer (or the elevation, which could also make the barometer swing). You might try turning off forced barometer updates as an experiment in case it’s a weird side effect in the console from using that command.

Keep me posted if you gather any more evidence.

Steve

if the console is only running on batteries then if they are going flat that could explain it too

O.K. here’s what’s happening. The forced barometer update is sending to 25.xx, then next time back to 29.xx, then 25.xx the next update, and so on. This has not happened before today. The console is also getting changed. I turned off VPLive and all stayed normal.

It seems to me that the problem was solved by going into the barometer setup in Wxlink and in the blank spot that says Sea-level barometer typing in the figure from Barometer (sea level) in VPLive. All is fine now.

Had another instance of those wild swings. Perhaps it’s something to do with the usb to serial adaptor I am using, but I don 't know. The main thing is that it messes up the console highs and lows as well as the software, so if I can’t find the problem I’ll have to set VPLive aside. I don’t run my computer 24/7 so the one minute barometer update (which is why I am using VPLive) doesn’t do the job anyway. It’s a great program for those who are connected all of the time.

You don’t need to use VPLive for one minute updates, WD can handle that for you…see attached…

Yeah, I realize that, but it still requires the computer to be continuously on. I don’t have Weather Display and don’t really like the appearance of the graphs or want to put out the cash for it.

the WD screen and graphs are very customisable

Doesn’t VPLive require a computer?

Yes VPLive requires a computer…but in order to get continuous 1 min updates on the barometer the computer needs to be on continuously. I turn mine off at night and when not in use. Lightning and computers aren’t the best of friends either.

I have not heard of anyone having the problem you described (forced barometer update causing barometer swings). If you could, email me the following files from the VPLive folder:
vptools.ini
log.txt
barometer.csv

As far as getting more frequent barometer updates while not connected to the computer - there is no known way to do that with the current models of Vantage Pros. Hopefully Davis will address this in a future firmware upgrade, but I’m not holding my breath.

Steve

I don’t know if the info that I e-mailed to you turned up any answers, but I just had another event yesterday while dwonloading and installing security updates which took awhile (even with DSL). Maybe there is a conflict that occurs when Wxlink/VPLive and other things are uploading and downloading at the same time. I’ll just have to put VPLive aside for now because I don’t like the fact of having permanent low barometer readings on the console lost due to having to clear the erroneously low readings.

Thanks much, and I’m glad it’s an isolated instance because this is a good program.