cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: sunshine hour sensor  (Read 9650 times)

StokesValleyWeather

sunshine hour sensor
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 01:46:41 AM »
Gents,

Lets not loose site of the original topic.  Making reference back to the topic of the USB to 1-Wire (refering to the need for an additional Com port).

I am actively involved in the development of a USB to 1-Wire adaptor sourced and developed in New Zeeland.  I already have a prototype working very nicely with WD, my thanks to Brian for support me on this and making the changes to WD. 8)

My aim is to source the parts and manufacture the boards for to keep the cost down as much as possible. I am aiming at producing a “build it yourself kit” for about $50 - $65 New Zealand.  (With current exchange rates it makes it about 17-23 British Pounds or $29-38 USD’s) I am also intending to incorporate standard resister sizes etc so you can source the parts your self if you wish.

What I would like is an indication of who would be interested and if you would be prepared to purchase one, as I am looking at some up front costs to kick this off.  Please indicate your interest by sending me an email. Remembering the more in the initial production run the lower the cost.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Andy

• Nomansland Weather. Wiltshire, UK
  • Nomansland, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
    • http://www.workandplay.org.uk
Re: sunshine hour sensor
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 08:23:15 AM »
Quote from: CaptDilli
Quote from: jumans
where can I buy an sunshine, or solar sensor.  I have already wmr929n station, but would like to add a solar sensor.
Hi Jumans,
From thread
http://weather-watch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2187
Quote from: windy
.....but you can use a extra temperature sensor with the wmr918 as a solar sensor: place it in a glass jar, and paint the bottom black, so it heats up in the sunlight....then set the max temperature reading to say 18, and the low at 1 , the fine tune to 1 and 1...then when the temp sensor in the jar is more than 18oc warmer than the station temperature, its 100 % sunshine...and you fine tune it, and you also set the thresholds

Good Luck

Any idea on the size of the jar. Is it important? I am using a jam jar that is not at all elegant, but the sensor will go in there just, but obscures most of the black painted base. If I changed to a goldfish bowl type size and shape, would I benefit anything form it, as the black bass is more prominent, and the there is more glass to absorb UV and IR light to give the "greenhouse" affect. Your input would be most worthwhile on this topic
Cheers,

Andy

Davis VP1 - 6310C, Microsoft XP pro with 1Gb memory, Processor 1.4GHz. Website - www.workandplay.org.uk. Email - andydunn1953@hotmail.com

StokesValleyWeather

sunshine hour sensor
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 10:02:27 AM »
Andy,

I have used a small Ramekin dish, it is about 2" - 2.5" in width with a head sink and a black heat sink with Heat sink gue to the temp sensor. :idea:

Work very well.  Only thing is to put it together in a warm low Humidity room as condensation will form on the top of the bolw.

Works very well.  Taking what Brian has said to will take some tuning.

Offline CaptDilli

• Little Switzerland NC USA
    • Little Switzerland Weather - NC - Butterfly Crossing
Re: sunshine hour sensor
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 01:28:25 PM »
Quote from: Andy
Any idea on the size of the jar. Is it important? I am using a jam jar that is not at all elegant, but the sensor will go in there just, but obscures most of the black painted base.

Hi Andy,

I think your Jam Jar is great.

For a solar sensor I am using a 1 quart (32 ounce US) jar.  The jar has a plain metal lid.  The bottom of the jar is painted flat black.  I had two concerns when selecting the jar.  
1- The extra sensor must fit inside the jar.
2- The top must be able to withstand the direct sunshine for an extended time.

I have no concern about the sensor obscuring most of the black painted base.
My solar settings are: -1.12 oC for 0% and 21.4 oC for 100%.  It took me several weeks to set the 100% value as the sun is usually somewhat obscured by haze/fog/mist/smog.  The “Update the max solar value from this max reading for lat/long daily” did not work for me.  

Cheers
BC
System Info:
XP Home, SP 3, Firefox 3.5.7, IE-7, Pentium 4 2.26GH, 1024MB RAM, Desktop, ADSL, No screen saver, http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/bfcrealtime.htm
http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/live/index.html

Offline Andy

• Nomansland Weather. Wiltshire, UK
  • Nomansland, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
    • http://www.workandplay.org.uk
sunshine hour sensor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 03:34:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply. The trouble is I do not really know what offsets I should tweak. Firstly, did you alter any of the settings for the clouds - which is done by the percentage from the solar.

Have you noticed any difference (or is it early days) when you have the sun, but little heat from it, as we have in our winters. You can have a really bright sun, but not so much heat, therefore causing an incorrect figure.

Can you elighten me the purpose of the temperature readings on the 0% to 100% with the %ratio of the clouds?
Cheers,

Andy

Davis VP1 - 6310C, Microsoft XP pro with 1Gb memory, Processor 1.4GHz. Website - www.workandplay.org.uk. Email - andydunn1953@hotmail.com

Offline CaptDilli

• Little Switzerland NC USA
    • Little Switzerland Weather - NC - Butterfly Crossing
Solar sensor in a jar setup
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2003, 02:31:31 AM »
Quote from: Andy
Thanks for your reply. The trouble is I do not really know what offsets I should tweak. Firstly, did you alter any of the settings for the clouds - which is done by the percentage from the solar.

I did not alter any of the settings for the clouds.  
What I did was tweak the 0% value for a reading of zero about an hour after sunset.  I allowed the sensor to cool off after the sun went down.  
I then tweaked the 100% value on a very clear day, at Celestial Noon for a 100% reading.  It will take some time (days) to do this.  Also, wait between changing the settings.  This will give the program time to update and settle down.

Try setting the maximum thresold (100%) to 13 /1 and the lower (0%) to 1 /1 and see what happens.

Have you noticed any difference (or is it early days) when you have the sun, but little heat from it, as we have in our winters. You can have a really bright sun, but not so much heat, therefore causing an incorrect figure.
No.

It appears to me if you want to measure total radiation, the 100% radiation should be measured on a very clear day, at Celestial Noon, on the longest day of the year (summer solstice).
BC
System Info:
XP Home, SP 3, Firefox 3.5.7, IE-7, Pentium 4 2.26GH, 1024MB RAM, Desktop, ADSL, No screen saver, http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/bfcrealtime.htm
http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/live/index.html