Online Forecast Display 1.18s

There is a special release of Online Forecast Display to those who have donated at least USD $15 to support the project.

The release, 1.18s, is a wind column upgrade for the vertical forecast display table. See the attached image.

If you would like to obtain the code and instructions to implement the upgrade, please e-mail me with the same address you used to send the donation. I will then send the necessary image files and code changes via a reply e-mail to that same address within seven days.

DISTRIBUTION OF THE UPGRADE 1.18s TO OTHER USERS IS PROHIBITED.

There is no obligation of support for 1.18s. Use at your own discretion.

This upgrade will not be available after 3 Zulu (9 PM Central Standard, Sunday), Monday, February 26, 2007.

If you have donated under $15, or nothing at all, you can donate the balance before the above end time to receive this feature.

Thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Jordan

Many thanks Jordan however when I applied the upgrade I now have a large gap in my web page. I cannot see why this is the case.

Many thanks for the help and scripts.

Just went to see what’s happening and it looks like you have it fixed. Congrats. - Jim

Thanks Jordan. :smiley: :smiley: Just what I wanted. 8) email on its way! :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking. What browser do you use? It seems to only be happening in IE 6 and 7. Of course Firefox seems fine…

forecast prob.doc (108 KB)

The same thing is happening to me. Firefox displays fine, IE has a gap between the header and the biody. I think it has something to do with how the table is interacting with the Carter Lake template and the sidebar menu. I don’t know enough about stylehseets and html to fix it, but I plan on playing around with it this weekend. Until then, I’ll use Firefox.

• Dan

edit: Just checked with IE 7 at home and there is no gap. I have IE 6 at work, so maybe that’s the problem?

edit: Just checked with IE 7 at home and there is no gap. I have IE 6 at work, so maybe that's the problem?

I have the same set up. But ie7 does it as well…

We’re going off topic I think, Chris can you move this to where you feel appropriate please?

Jordan,

I emailed you back on 21 Feb about this. I previously donated $25 plus PayPal fees. Today is 7 days since I sent the request email. I have yet to receive the code and images.

Your e-mail must have been purged. I sent it as soon as I read your post. If you do not get it, please send another e-mail.

For all other users, the free upgrade period has ended. If you are still interested in obtaining the upgrade, please e-mail me about costs.

Jordan

I guess I have a little problem with this. I know this is your script and you can do as you wish but I just thought I would express this. While there is a “free” version, wanting to charge for a minor feature for those that have already donated seems a bit over the top. While the WD does cost more to start with, Brian has added 100s of features and has never charged for an upgrade. Anyways, this is just IMHO.

In the beginning I thought I was supporting a struggling student, but it’s starting to sound more like a commercial venture…

Well, I’m glad I’m not alone. I donated more than the recommended amount and never received an acknowledgment or a thank-you.

The whole “If any instances of these scripts are found to be in violation of the above agreement, which you consent to upon download, the administrative contact of the domain on which they appear will be liable for no less than USD $5,000.00 in damages, plus profits and attorney fees,” thing leaves a bad taste as well. Not quite sure how he’d enforce that across national boundaries, or even know it’s his script without a subpoena to search the server. He must have taken some law class last semester. It’s a PHP script, not MS Office.

And for all that, they aren’t well-documented at all for those of us that want to edit them or figure out where they’re broken. I spent way too much time dissecting wspic so I could edit it to look how I wanted it.

I guess Anole and Ken True have spoiled us with their free, well-documented scripts and assistance.

I’ve refrained from commenting on this situation, but I have to agree with you guys. It irritated me that I donated to this “starving student” (even though I wasn’t going to use the script) and didn’t even get the courtesy of an acknowledgement, and then the whole “simple request” thread further irritated me.

I don’t think it’s a “donation” when you start laying out minimums and other conditions, that’s a business, and this whole thing is very much against the spirit of this forum.

I dont have time right now to code one but I might think about it in a few weeks time, unless Pinto or someone beats me to it :wink:

If I did it would be free :wink:

Stuart

Rest assured, this is not a commerical venture. And yes, I am in a legal class this semester. To me, Internet piracy is a serious issue. The entire intent of the upgrade was to say thanks to those who have sent a donation, never to try to make more money. If you have felt compelled to donate, I am very much sorry. 1.19 will eventually be phased into a proposed version 2, which will be as free as the other versions. I am actually losing money on this project since I have taken time out of my job to provide support and work on upgrades. If you are not satisified, please let me know.

There is no upgrade charge for 1.19 as long as there has been a donation made. The reason I said the free upgrade period has ended is because I have several midterms this week and next and do not have the time to repond to upgrade e-mails.

The process of releasing freeware to your donors first is a fairly typical method of distribution. I apologize if your disagree.

Jordan

That’s funny, the above quote shows that you were expecting people to pay for the upgrade if they didn’t happen to visit these forums during the time you were offering it.

If you have donated under $15, or nothing at all, you can donate the balance before the above end time to receive this feature.

The original donation amount was $10, now we need to have donated $15 to get upgrades? Sorry, all of this just sounds fishy to me and it seems others here feel the same.

The fact is, you can put all the boilerplate you want in the download aggrement, if someone wants to be dishonest they won’t give a hoot what you put in there. All that does is turn off the honest people. You may also want to note that if a program is good and users like the program and support, they will donate more then required… just look at the “donate” button at the top of the forums that many have used to send a few extra bucks to Brian even though there was no "requirement"to do so.

I think it is wise to stop this discussion.
I use the software and the money asked was not really so high, that I could not eat for a while, okay it was one bottle of wine less, but that was it.

gerard

I’ll be looking forward to your’s or Pinto’s version. :wink: