Plaintext time after upgrading

Hi

The time in my plaintext is not updating anylonger after updating to WXSIM 11.5.

I keep the same time. Im creating automated forecast 5 times a day and the time is always the same in the top of plaintext.txt.

The date changes correct.

If I understand you correctly, mine is doing the same thing: Unless Wxsimate (ver 3.4.1) is shut down the “Effective time” always remains the same in the window for each “Import (of) Data” despite the hr change. Strange, as I’m sure it was changing prior to this last update.

I’ve also just double checked and all the data listed under “Current Conditions” in the WxSimate panel don’t change either!!! The only way to overcome this would appear to be shut down WxSimate and restart it again between f’cast runs. ie Not Auto.

Mine is working OK, but it does get shut down after each run. Perhaps a bug crept in. - Jim

Hi thanks for your replies.

Im using Windows Scheduler where I open WXSIMATE. Then WXSIMATE runs an auto data import.

After that I use Windows Scheduler to shut down WXSIMATE again.

Mayeb Tom know what could cause this?

Maybe I should try to recode Windows Scheduler and have Scheduler to do the dataimport. I think I will test that.

Yes, this may take Tom. I’m using Windows Scheduler in the same manner and things are working fine. - Jim

Hi everybody,

I can’t think of anything I would have changed in the last version (or even the last few versions, really) that would have caused this. I made no changes to time stamps or the plaintext file. Of course, unexpected things do creep in sometimes!

Look carefully to make sure the data on the screen, and the forecast initialization (separate from run time) is updating.

I’ll try to take a look at it, too.

Tom

Hi

I have figured out - that if i use Windows Scheduler to terminate WXSIMATE then the timestamp dont change.

If I set Windows Scheduler to click at the “Close” button in WXSIMATE then the timestamp changes.

But i have only tested once - all of today i will do some more testing and let you know how it goes.

I am operating my system in a non-scheduled mode at the moment to make sure that I have the correct data going through to my forecasts, by manually selecting “Import Data” in WxSimate. However, I’m sure that my system is showing the same symptoms as your own, as the only way I can change the WxSimate “Current Conditions” data entries and “Effective Time” entry is to manually “Close” WxSimate between forecasts.

yep - i agree with you.

The only way to create a correct timestamp is to manually push the “Close” button.

I have programmed Windows Scheduler to do that.

Cheers

That’s interesting guys ,as I tested my version and if I change the time in WXSimate either for the main download or the local data if I do nothing within a few seconds it changes back to the current day & time. I found this before when trying to do forecasts for past days that if you were not quick enough it would change the time stamps back to current. So I’m a bit surprised you have this problem. I run mine in auto mode but close them manually since at present I only run 1 forecast per day in the morning. I do always use the close button or menu item on WXSim though.

Stuart

Edit: I just left it sitting there and as it past 19:00 hours the hour value changed all on its own, I gather from Tom this is normal operation.

Hi Stuart,

That is how I remember my setup operating prior to the last update. Most odd, it looks as though I’m going to have to do some more investigations with my implementation of WxSimate.

Just to confirm that I was reporting the way V3.4.1 works for me…

Stuart

There was one change in WXSIMATE from 3.4 to 3.4.1: actions that previously required the Close button should now respond to external program shutdowns as well.

Regarding what Stuart said, yes, it is normal for the time stamp in WXSIMATE to update about every 10 seconds or so.

Regarding import of local data from WD, the time stamp will noramlly change only every hour, because WXSIMATE is trying to synchronize data with potential METAR or synoptic data, which tends to be almost on the hour (sometimes up to 10 minutes before) - for regular reports anyway. WXSIMATE will generally set the time five minutes before the last hour.

I’ll look into just how I’ve got this updating implemented, and see if I can clarify it.

Tom

Hi Everybody,

OK, I’ve got it figured out now. There WAS a change (unintentional as far as I can recall) when I corrected a bug in which the Auto Scheduler red status notice (ON or OFF) sometimes saif OFF when it was on. I indeed fixed that, but that change also made it truly be off when you had clicked the Disable button. Now, with it disabled, the program’s timer turns off, whereas before it was actually running in the background. Now that I think about it, I like this new arrangement better, because there are times I deliberately want to download data from an earlier time, and I was having to hurry to beat the every-10-seconds-or-so change. All I have to do to stop the clock is disable the Scheduler (rather than just leave all the hours unchecked).

On the other hand, it’s easy to enable it, to start the clock back. Also, the clock will start working at bootup (I think) if the program was left with the scheduler enabled at last shutdown. This means you can still get local and internet data time stamps to progress automatically. You just have to make sure the scheduler is enabled.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi everybody,

Quite independently I unset and reset all my settings yesterday evening and played around with the schedules etc. Lo and behold, the WxSimate data entries started to work correctly, but I wasn’t sure why and couldn’t grasp the logic of what I had done. However, having now read the explanation given by Tom above, all is now apparent. Thanks Tom, your logic does seem to explain my accidental self-made cure with WxSimate. All is now working again.

Hi

Im not sure what to do now - can anyone make a little guide with the settings?

Im using Windows Scheduler to open and close WXSIMATE

Thanks

As long as you are using the scheduler to actually run the data collection then you just need to start and stop WXSimate as you are doing. If you are not currently using the scheduler then you must turn it on and select all the times you want data collection to run. I use the scheduler and it all works fine.

I also like the new way the timer works as I was having problems when running forecasts in the past and having to try and beat the timer!

Stuart

Hi,

The most important point is about the WXSimate Toolbar “Schedule” and that MUST be set to “Enable”. ie switched ON to enable the WXSimate clock to run. Then the “Time latest or” Year/month/day/hour (most notably the hour) will change AND if you have the time selected within the import of the WxSimate Schedule then that too will change at the appropriate time and update the “Current Conditions”. Likewise, if you manually press the “Import Data” with the Auto Scheduler set to Enable (in RED above Target URL to indicate clock running) then the Current Conditions and time will change as appropriate.

The Windows Scheduler is not part of this mix up and is quite a separate event etc…

I hope I have got Tom’s methodology and understanding correct!

I also hope this helps

Hi,

and thank you very much for you replies.

I have now enabled autoscheduler in WXSIMATE and it seems to work fine now.

Maybe the autoscheduler was disabled in the new WXSIMATE update?

Cheers

Hi again

I have now made 5 forecasts today with Windows Scheduler and everything works fine again.