Interesting Anomaly

Woke up today to find most of my entire site was showing the actual tags used on my pages and not the parsed information from WD. I use Carterlake’s pages and also use wx30local to grab all of my php information. With the coming storm predictions for this area NOAA posted watches etc and there text was very lengthy. Evidently ending their script in $$ prevented WD from parsing any tags past the %noaaevent% tag, therefore my pages were not getting the proper information.

It took me a little bit to figure this out, checking things like my FTP log, program error log etc. so I just wanted to pass this information along in case it happens to somebody else in the future.

Jack

PHP is kinda funny that way.

If you enclose strings in double-quotes (like echo “$somevar” ) then the contents of the string are parsed for PHP variables, and a variable that contains “$$” looks like an indirect substitution, so probably resulted in a php error. If you use just the variable itself like echo $somevar, then the contents aren’t parsed for additional substitutions.

I’ve found that including METAR text is risky… never know when they’ll put something in there that kills PHP. I prefer to include the text file itself inside a

combo instead… that way PHP is not confused and the website works :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Yeah actually I do not use the noaa tags anymore thanks to your rss scripts and the like! The noaa tags were just sitting in the wx30local file and prevented WD from parsing any tags beyond the noaa tag! So the simple solution was to just get rid of those tags for now.

Thanks,

Jack

so maybe if i get wd to delete the $$ from the noaa warning data?

That would help, Brian. :slight_smile:
Ken

Regarding the $$ in NOAA products…

End of Product or Product Segment Code (Double Dollar [$$]). The double dollar code
($$) is used to end the content block of all products, i.e., (1) those products that do not use the
UGC, and (2) non-segmented products that do use the UGC. The $$ also is used to end the
content of individual segments within a segmented product.